Haunted Lakes

W

Wendy Perry

Graham i just read the story in Angler's Mail of the haunted lake where you stayed, that was well scary i would have been scared to death. Has anyone on here had anything weird happen to them on a night fish in ??

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I was fishing on a small Suffolk gravel pit earlier this year, asleep in my bivvy. It was the early hours and the whole lake had a deathly quiet below the shroud of mist that clung to the glassy water.

I awoke with a start, thinking I'd heard a muffled noise, and I tried to convince myself it was the exhaust of a car. But it was such an eerie night it could have been anything.

Then I heard footsteps; heavy, lumbering footsteps that made the ground tremble.

Suddenly, as though from nowhere, this deafening, raucous noise came from behind my bivvy and an evil stench pervaded the night air. Surely this was the smell of death?

I cringed in the darkness and through the open door saw two badgers jump in the lake.

Than a voice said, "Morning, 'ad any bites?"

And Big Rik's head appeared in the doorway.

W

Wendy Perry

hahahahaah god you had me scared then LOL

I'd have been scared if it had been pegleg lol mind you i would have know if it was him he'd have been flashing :eek:)

P

Phil Hackett

"Then I heard footsteps; heavy, lumbering footsteps that made the ground tremble.

Suddenly, as though from nowhere, this deafening, raucous noise came from behind my bivvy and an evil stench pervaded the night air. Surely this was the smell of death?"

It would have served you right if was the parallel universe dimention of Dave Sharp mate!

poor guy's still not got over the ribbing he got about the combermere ghost.

M

Malcolm Bason

"I'd have been scared if it had been pegleg lol mind you i would have know if it was him he'd have been flashing"

Great if one gets a run in the middle of the night though Wendy - don't need a head lamp!!!!!

I was fishing a fairly local lake one Friday night (Brackley) and although it does get its fair share of drunken idiots walking round during the early hours.

On this one particular occasion during a carp match I was bivvied up on my own and fairly isolated. I guestimated it to be about 2.00am and after hearing footsteps on the gravel path close to me, I heard someone say "its one of those fishing things". I grabbed a large torch with the intention of using it for its intended purpose - and if necessary to lump someone over the head with it - shot out and - nobody there!!!!!????? I thought I was going nuts!

R

Ron Clay

I have had a few odd things happen to me whilst fishing, most of them have been easily eplained. However there is one stretch of the River Leam in Warks that wild horses would not drag me back to.

Tony Miles has had some of the most scary experiences that I know of. Read about them in his latest book: "Chasing Dreams".

R

Rob Brownfield

i was supprised to see an article on Loch Maben (Castle Loch). I fished there for the bream a few years back and felt very *uncomfortable* about the place. The guy i was fishing with (bouncer) only lasted half way through the second night....he was so scared he left his gear on the loch and drove to the nearest town, only returning in daylight to pack up and flee.

Several scottish lochs have that *uncomfortable* feeling about them, and my local Pike water has a ghost that appears on new years eve and rides across the frozen loch!!..eeeek!...i wonder if it will take a deadbait!

F

Fraser Jardine

The worst place for me is St bennets Abbey on the Norfolk Broads. when night fishing in Autumn the mist just seems to swallow you up, all you can see is the ruins of the abbey.
You really can 'cut' the atmosphere with a knife'.

Good pike though and lots of bloody eels!!

R

Ron Clay

Rob,

Way back in 1963 I spent 5 days fishing at Castle Loch. Caught loads of bream up to nearly 6 lbs. Used to fish near the sewage pipe.

One evening whilst fishing alone I sensed a strange atmosphere together with a stench so bad that it appeared to be emitted from the nether regions of hell.

I wonder what that was?

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron, it was from the sewage bank that I had the "feelings"!!! You have reminded me of the smell..we put it down to the old sewage farm, but it only appeared for a few minutes....and only at night.

R

Ron Clay

That's right Rob, it wasn't like the normal smell of sewage which I am well used to. It smelt like... well - something dead!!

I also used to fish a small loch not far from there called Hightae Loch. That also had an atmosphere. It was full of little bream and we caught dozens of them at night.

R

Rob Brownfield

Ron..I know it well!!!..i know it as Hightae Pond..lol

Most lochs seem to be haunted up here....Culreach Castle at Stirling is the same. Used to hold double figure wildies...and strange apperitions

M

Martin Wright

There is a phantom nun who haunts the grounds of Lacock Abbey by the bristol Avon. She can be seen only when the abbey bell tolls at midnight.

They've tried several times to exorsize her but she can't get out of the habit.

K

Keith Manger

I fish an estate lake that was built by Napolionic prisoners of war, there's a few creepy things that have happened there.
A few years ago we had the lake dredged using a mudcat, the workmen stayed in a caravan by the lake for a month or two while they carried out the work. One morning they were as white as sheep, apparently one of the workmen was standing by a bridge that spans the lake at its narrowest part having a smoke, at 1AM he heard a rumbling noise getting nearer and nearer, then he swears that a horse & carriage went charging across the bridge and dissapeared up the track away from the lake. The other workmen heard the noise and jumped out of the caravan just in time to see it disapearing in the distance.

W

Wendy Perry

"There is a phantom nun who haunts the grounds of Lacock Abbey "

"They've tried several times to exorsize her but she can't get out of the habit."

THATS ME lol ;o)

D

Del Beckett

Halloween is now over chaps.The only real SPIRITS come in a bottle!!!

M

Malcolm Bason

Don't you be too sure Del!!!! I could tell you a tale or three!!

C

Chris Bishop

I read all this and thought it was about as scary as a currant bun.

Sorry, maybe I'm just more of sceptic when it comes to the supernatural.