braid

cormorant

Reaction score
what strength braid do you use for carp?, mainline not hooklength, thanks in advance.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I don't use braid for carp as a main line.

Never have felt the need to use it. Mono is good enough and has soem stretch in it to allow for the sudden turns and twists of the fight .

Pike fishing is where I use braid, but my rods are ever so soft and drags set very light.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Braided mainline does have a few very limited uses in carp angling but the dangers have to be considered. The feeling of being in direct contact with a fish when playing it sounds better than it actually is a lot of the time. Even with low TC rods I am pretty certain you will experience a lot more hook pulls than you normally get fishing with mono until you come to terms with using braid, if you ever do .It is not banned on a lot of waters for no reason. Even when playing fish with kid gloves just a little too much pressure and you can cause terrible mouth damage. But the worse thing is a decent carp can virtually have it tail cut off by braid after getting lassoed around the knuckle of the tail during the fight.