Insect repellant

A

Adrian Bartle

Hi all, can anybody recommend an effective insect repellant, as I feel as though I've been the main course at a banquet for the insect world!!

Cheers

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I've never used insect repellant in my life. Horrible smelly stuff.

Just let them bite you is what I say. You soon build up a resistance to the bites.

E

EC

"You soon build up a resistance to the bites."

Sadly some people don't Ron.

Adrian try and cover up where possible but the likes of boots, superdrug etc do various repellants, if am not mistaken millets do a good one, and a bit cheaper too!

A

Adrian Bartle

It wouldn't so bad normally, but I'm blowing up like a balloon, my arms look like Popeye's after an overdose of spinach!!

R

I am afraid that is true Eddie and Adrian, and I didn't mean any harm by my comments.

My late Father-in-Law was allergic to bee stings in a big way. A sting could have killed him, especially from an African bee whose venom is very toxic.

I am totally immune to bee stings. I once got zapped by about 30 stings around my neck and head. The wife removed all the stings with tweezers. The incredible thing was that I couldn't feel the stings at all.

On the other hand, wasp and scorpion stings, to me, feel like I am being injected with a red hot needle. The venom of wasps and scorpions I believe is acid, whilst bees are alkaline.

Mosquitos can be a pain, expecially those infected with malaria. I once went into a malaria area without taking my pills. Of course I came down with it, and spent nearly 2 weeks in a hospital bed.

E

EC

Sorry Ron, but not everyone does build up resistance, you even say as much yourself re your dad mate!

Far better to choose a decent repellant, and do as much as possible to prevent stings and bites, cover up etc, than merely hope to have the capacity to build up a rsistance after the event!

A

Adrian Bartle

Ron,

I took no offence whatsoever with your remark, it's true there must be many many people who do not react, indeed I don't normally. My only hope is that they died after tasting my blood!;-)

Kevin Fullerton

Reaction score
i'm off to boots fellas because my left arm looks like an elephants foot after a horsefly bit me ....GGGGRRRrrrrrrrrrrr

R

Generally we don't have too many nasty biting stinging things in England. Even our spiders are pretty benign, although watch out for the big house spiders that cause Peter Jacobs to have a stroke.

Australia and Tasmania are the places for nasty biting things.

A

Adrian Bartle

Dare I mention it, has anyone got any recommendations for any insect repellant? ha ha ha

A

Adrian Bartle

Ron,

I took no offence whatsoever with your remark, it's true there must be many many people who do not react, indeed I don't normally. My only hope is that they died after tasting my blood!;-)

F

Fred Bonney

Without beating around the bush or changing the subject.
Try some Jungle Formula,they love me but,it seems to help!

coelacanth

Reaction score
Skin So Soft is used by the military for the same purpose, unlike DEET it doesn't damage vital components of delicate devices (like cameras, binoculars, computer-guided weaponry etc.).
I've just bought some of the non-DEET stuff from Millets, not yet had the chance to try it out.
Where Clegs are concerned, you can normally spot them as they home in on you and give them a clout (but do it properly or they'll bounce back and come after you again, they are persistent). They bring me up in a huge welt as well, so I've got to know my enemy. I was once hunted by a large one (deer fly) while snorkelling in a river in Canada, every time I surfaced I could feel it land. I won in the end, it became food for a young Salmon when I crash-dived with it still on my head.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Try placing a bucket of horses**t at about six feet distance from you. Might not keep the biting things away from you but neither will you be pestered by flies.
Seriously though the best repellant I've used is one of those little battery powered ones you hang round your neck. The little b*****ds used to make a real meal of me until I started using one.

W

Woody (AKA Cheeky Monkey & Jay Dubya)

Funny thing last night. I'm not usually plagued by them, but I could see a lot in front of me so I squirted soem Expedition Plus on -

They made a bee-line for me.