Killing Creatures

Blunderer

Reaction score
I take great care not to kill any living creature. I don't kill flies, spiders or anything on purpose. It makes me feel good to save a life and I sometimes rescue flies from the water when fishing.

However my own hypocrisy does not escape me.....I have killed millions and millions of creatures for bait...maggots, worms, slugs, even baby frogs when I was a kid (brilliant for perch!)

I sometimes feel guilty, but it certainly has never stopped me....does anyone else struggle with this moral dilemma or am I being a big soft git?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I kill vermin and food all the time. Trout or any other fish, including carp, that is good to eat. And vermin such as rats, mice, flies etc etc.

I don't kill spiders or snakes because they are our friends and eat a lot of other vermin. However I have shot thousands and thousands of game birds as well as rabbits, hares, antelope and the odd larger African animal as well as warthogs and porcupines. These two are particuarly plentiful and good to eat.

I am not a vegetarian of vegan, so the killing of animals does not worry me at all, provided it is done humanely. I firmly believe if you eat meat, fish or fowl, you must occasionally kill your own. It brings you down to earth and teaches you your place in the animal kingdom.

T

The Monk

must admit I`ve done my share of killing through shooting in the past, but i couldnt do it now a days, I`d feel too guity

C

Christian Tyroll

Blunderer sometimes dont like hooking the big worms, that makes me feel a bit weird. but fine with the rest of it.
Happy to live bait aswell as when i do i only single lip hook them and if i dont catch they go back fine.
Will be going shooting next year (pheasents) and wont feel guilty as it will get eaten.
But i have to admit i have squashed lots and lots of flies...

njb51

Reaction score
I like shooting for pheasants, pigeons and rabbits. They are all good to eat, and if we are not eating them, someone else will be.

I sometimes kill foxes that go round destroying chicken coops to help out the farmers.

Do you feel guilty eating burgers, Blunderer?

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Why not help the poor penniless lazy bleedin farmers to build decent chicken coups in the first place. The foxes were here first.

R

Heyup Monk,

You didn't look too guilty wolfing down those Big Macs.

M

mark williams 4

My dad squashed a spider one day, and I said: "You shouldn't have done that."
"Why not?" he asked.
"Cos spiders are lucky," I told him.
"Well," he said. ".... that one wasn't...."

(with grateful thanks to the late Kenny Everett)

Rik Smith

Reaction score
It has often been pondered by greater minds than ours (baz excepted of course)what place each individual form of life on this planet has in the continuity of life as we know it. We all know the damage just one germ can do to you when it gets into you, something you cannot even see.
But the things you can see, what happens when you KILL them? nobody knows or everwill until the day of reckoning comes upon us. A case of the straw that broke the camels back, who's going to kill the last thing before the worm turns.And bites us in the arse.Be afraid be very afraid!!!!
Next time you squash something.

Jim Bowdrey

Reaction score
I,m with Christian, something about hooking big lobby,s but I,ve done my fair share of shooting and ferreting etc and never had any probs with killing for food or killing vermin.

R

Ever looked at the lives of most of the fishes we catch. It's all about killing. All fish are predators in one form or another.

All animals are, we are an animal. Killing is part of the cycle of life.

Have you ever considered how many things you kill, every time you drive a car?

I remember visiting a silly woman years ago who was a vegan. She pontificated much better on the fact that we should not kill. She drove a car and whilst we were sitting on her veranda, a big hairy spider came walking along.

"Whhoo!! kill it! kill it!" she screamed.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Ever thought how many microscopic things you kill just walking down the road ???

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
My wife will not kill anything, she even keeps a chiffon scarf handy so she can shoo the flies and spiders out of the house.

I couldn't kill anything (apart from flies, mice etc) just for the sake of it and I certainly couldn't shoot an animal, I would have nightmares for years if I did. I have no problem with people who kill for the pot but I do have a problem with people who shoot/trap creatures just for the "fun" of it I think they have a serious problem themselves.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
You think of all the little bugs that crawl on your skin when you go fishing tiny little things you can't see.2 days later still by the lakeside all sweaty balls, everytime you scratch'em you're leaving thousands of dead bodies hanging on to yer knacker-sack !!

R

Well we trap and hook fish just for the fun of it Graham!

Do you think that when I go trout fishing I do so with the express intention of putting a meal on my table.

No I don't. I go out with the intention of hunting and capturing a fish using my skills and wiles, the aim being able to see that fish in the net. It is the hunting and stalking of a wild animal that gives me the buzz. The very same buzz I have had in the past when the cross hairs of my rifle have been centered on the shoulder of an animal and I have squeezed off the shot, and them comes the satisfying "thwack" as the bullet strikes home. And then there is the very great thrill to take two flying birds with left and right barrels.

The eating of the kill is a small part of it I can assure you. The stalking and efficient killing is what shooting is all about.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

At the moment I'm having a cull of the grey squirrels in my garden and so far I've trapped and killed 3. I've no qualms about it because I've seen the carnage these destructive foreigners have caused amongst the songbirds this spring and early summer by taking the eggs and destroying the nests.
I'd love to be able to shoot the magpies that are just as destructive but in their misguided wisdom the RSPB have managed to make them a protected specie.
No-one should feel guilty of killing vermin especially those that are non-indeginous such as grey squirrels.
As for killing for food I've shot rabbit, pheasant, partridge, hare and wood pidgeon.
I've also fished for and kept wild salmon, trout, perch, bass, cod and a great variety of other sea fish.
Buying meat and fish from your local shop or supermarket does not, in reality, detach you from the killing of another creature, it only makes you feel like it does.

R

I couldn't agree more Frank.

By the way, grey squirrels are not bad eating, similar to bunnies.

Anyone who eats meat is part of the killing of an animal. Cattle would not exist if it wasn't for us humans rearing them, killing them, eating their flesh, drinking their milk and using their hides for clothing items.

R

And in addition, millions of African animals would have been poached to extinction years ago is it wasn't for the conservation bodies that exist in many parts of that continent, funded to a great degree by bona fide hunters paying for hunting permits.

It's the same in the USA.