Which Rods ?

S

Stuart Johnson

After years of making do with Carp rods I am thinking of buying a pair of Pike rods. I am on a faily tite budget and was thinking of geting the Fox Pike masters or the Ron Thompson rods. Has anybody used these rods and what is the verdict or have you any other recomendations. I do not think I will need rods that can cast to the horizon, so its all rounds rods that I need.

R

Rob Brownfield

I would stick with the Fox rods. Made for the UK market etc.

Daiwa do some cracking pike rods, well worth a look.

P

Paul Williams

Stu,
Having tried all manner, (i'm now on Harrison's that have had the walls beefed up) i can honestly say that my all time favourites are still the glass rods that Terry Eustace made.....they take so mucH abuse!!!........of to catch me a barb now!!

S

Stuart Johnson

So it looks as though the Fox has the vote. Would u go for the 2.5tc or the 3tc
or one of each? Paul how have u found the Harrisons? I will be using the TE soon.

Thanks for your input.

R

Rob Brownfield

I would go for a 3lb as then u can wack out small baits miles or fich big baits at reasonable range.

I use Armalites in 3lb for boat work (all through action) and Amourphous 2 3/4 for bank work..but being out and out casting tools, i can put a bait a long way if need be.

For small baits close in on snagless waters I use 2 1/4 North Western Carbons

T

Tim Kelly

Have you looked at Dave Lumb's rods? www.dlst.co.uk British blanks built and designed by a guy who has caught a couple of fish.

Tim

C

Chris Bishop

I've got a soft spot for Marvic Pike rods - light, crisp but forgiving action, slim cork handles etc. Not an all-out brute stick for long casting though.

Might be worth checking out if you can get your hands on one somewhere first.

Saw Andy Doughty's new Daiwa Dictator rods the other week - wicked if you've got a few bob to spare.

A

Andy Doughty

The Dictators are lovely rods, 12 feet of carbon fibre sex! I have caught a few fish on them, nothing big, but they cast a bait further than my Daiwa Powermesh 2214 carp rods. I am still unsure as to wether the Dictators would be fast enough in the tip to hit still water zander, but they are great for pike fishing at close, medium and long range. Not tried them with drifters yet, but I will keep you informed.

C

Chris Bishop

Tell you what - we can swop rods if I see you Tuesday so I can give them the once over.

S

Stuart Johnson

Thanks for the info guys. Had a look and feel of the Fox rods today, must say I did not like them at all. But the Diawa's felt great, so I might have to hold fire untill I can aford them. Paul what are the Harrisons like? I have seen some going for just under the ton.