Hardy Angel or Loop evotec

E

Esoxman

Hi

Thinking of treating myself to a new reel but got it down to the above two.

Not sure which to go for any thoughts?

Just looking for solid build and water tight,
As water got in my vision koma and ceased it.

So looking for something I won?t be disappointed in!!

7/8 rating

S

Shrek

Loop reels are silent and Hardy reels are noisy. Other than that, I'd go for the Loop as it looks far nicer, IMHO.

Bit concerned about the Koma though as I have the Koma salmon reel. Was it fresh or saltwater that got into it and is it not fixable or covered under a warranty?

E

Esoxman

yes it was under warranty so I sent it back they replaced a fibre washer which swelled when in contact with water.
It was fresh water.

wilbert

Reaction score
IanH has the right idea. I have a Danielsson HD 11/14 Evotec and it is the Dogs Boll*cks, they are not totally silent but nothing like as loud as on older reel such as a Hardy perfect. The drag is second to none, very smooth and has huge stopping power that doesn't fade or go into free spool when things get hot or wet. I got the reel and 2 spare spools for much less than Loop were origonally selling the reel for. The Danielsson's are still made in Sweden but the Loop reels are now made in China and still cost more than the Danielsson even though the price has been reduced.

IanH

Reaction score
The Featherweights (FW) are completely silent. The LW & HD have a click.

I own a couple of FWs. Next buy will be a LW.

I found the whole saga of Loop & Danielsson was an eye opener. Turned out that Loop just marketed the reels. They didn't own the design or anything. And they added a HUGE margin.

I don't know if the same applies to their other products?

Ian

wilbert

Reaction score
The loop doubles are made by Mustad and yes Loop have a huge markup on these too but they are great hooks so I pay the ransom. Orvis is another large name that doesn't make or design a signle thing they put their name to someone elses product and charge the customer vast amounts for this.

IanH

Reaction score
Interesting, I hadn't realised Orvis played that game.

S

Sean Meeghan

Many of the big name companies play at badge engineering. A friend of mine bought a big name fly reel in Canada (it was either Orvis or Sage - can't remember which). When he showed it to us we realised it was identical to a Shimano reel, but of course it cost a bit more.

If you take a close look at fixed spool reels (the screw locations on the body are a good give-away)you'll find that they are identical except for the graphics. As anglers we often pay for the brand rather than the product.