Barbless hooks

Deryck Simpson 2

Reaction score
Can someone tell me......... Is it better to use barbless hooks or barbed hooks when fishing a hair rig for carp. I do catch fish on barbless hooks and i feel you get better penetration with them but I seem to miss more takes (getting run but not striking into fish)than with a barbed hook.
Please help me as I dont know if its my fault or the hooks.

Paul H

Reaction score
Derbyshire: best beer, best cheese, best puddings.
Deryck, the presence of a barb should make no difference to the number of runs you get or the hooks penetrating capability. As long as they are good quality, sharp hooks they will sink in just fine.

The real differences lie elsewhere.

Barbless hooks are easier to remove (Duh, obvious I know), they are by the same token easier for a fish to shed either in the event of a break-off or even during the fight. Keeping the line taught on a fish whilst using barbless hooks is essential to minimise this risk.

Some people believe barbless hooks cause more damage to fish than barbed ones as they can move about more with no barb to hold it in place. Even so many fisheries will insist on barbless hooks only or in certain sizes.

Barbed hooks (usually micro barbed now) are not difficult to remove but won't just fall out of the fish if for some reason you have to slacken the line (or have a nightmare birds nest moment), I personally used barbed where I can unless I'm piking where I use semi barbed (the quicker I can get two sets of trebles out of those mouths the better)

:O)