fishing buddies wanted

chubman

Reaction score
tradional angler seeks trips to the itchen,avon and stour,for the start of the new season,with like minded souls,im based in hampshire,tight lines,chubman

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Typically the Hampshire Avon, say below Salisbury does not fish too well in the early months of the season. The Stour will fish better as will the Itchen.

We (FM) usually have a day on the Lower Itchen fishery in February or March, but there is also the free stretch below this at Gator's Mill.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
I am not sure I agree with you Peter as I have caught several large chub from the Avon early in the season.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I am not sure I agree with you Peter as I have caught several large chub from the Avon early in the season.

I know you fish a lot further downstream than my syndicate stretches which, (other than for the 'social' side of the early season) are really not worth investing too much in the way of time and sessions.

There can be some good sport below Breamore providing there is water enough and decent conditions.

Dave Slater

Reaction score
My stretches often fish well early in the season Peter but I am not sure if I will fish the rivers from the off this year as they are very low and I believe the fish have already spawned, so I may give them a few weeks to recover and in the meantime hopefully we will have some rain to bring the levels up and oxygenate the water.

---------- Post added at 03:56 ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 ----------

Chubman,
You do not say if you are a member of any clubs or syndicates or if you have your own transport.
Perhaps you should post this information as there may be people in the same clubs or syndicates.
Also they may not live near you so would prefer to meet up on the bank.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I totally agree, the levels are worse now than for many years. Far better to leave the fish to recover post-spawning before targeting them again.

I am still on my Trout 'break' so I'll be on the Test and the Itchen in early June and stay on them, and the lakes, until late August before the Coarse rods come out again.

I might have a crack for some Crucians later on as well . . . . . . .

Dave Slater

Reaction score
Peter
If you want to contact me when you get round to fishing for crucians feel free to contact me and perhaps we can sort a session out.