when and what to change something..?

Matty C

Reaction score
Ok.. Im sure a few of you have thought about this before and maybe it has been discussed before, but Im going to ask anyway..

The scenario is that youre fishing a tricky water where the carp dont come out very often, to anyone.. Youve had a few fish out, but you feel like you could/should be catching more.. When and what do you change something..?

Obviously the reluctancy to change everything is huge, as youve had a few fish out already, but how do you know that you would have caught more if you did something different, or indeed caught less..
i.e. change rig.. change bait.. change loose feed habits.. there are a million things to change of course, but how do you know that if you change your bait, you will catch more or less.. you could be fishing originally with the bait the carp like the most, you've done well to catch the fish you have, and you wouldnt have caught any more.. alternatively, you could have been fishing with just an ok bait.. but you then change to the best bait for those fish.. but you dont catch because the fish just wernt playing ball or you wernt in the right spot or any of the hundreds of equations there are..

In summary, if i was to change what bait i fished with.. should i go all out and change completely, or just some of the time.. how long should i give it..

lifes unanaswerable questions im sure.. but thats fishing..

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]If everyone else is catching, and you’re not it’s time for a change.;)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Seriously, whatever species I’m fishing for I rely very heavily on instinct/gut feelings. You would be surprised how many times this can work – if you let it.[/FONT]

BarryC

Reaction score
I have allways felt that the time to try something new is when you are catching then if you stop catching go back again to what you were doing. With a bit of luck you will learn something.
But how many of us will change something thats working?

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I have allways felt that the time to try something new is when you are catching then if you stop catching go back again to what you were doing. With a bit of luck you will learn something.

That a good answer

if you change when you're not catching and don't catch you'll not learn anything but if you do as Barry C suggest you will know if the fish are on the feed and will take anything or if it's the type of baits that' doing the bisiness

Bluenose

Reaction score

That's a good point. A good few years ago I was catching tench on a stillwater on the method feeder, they were having it, and I deliberately changed several times. Some baits brought a better response than others. However that's not to say that the less succesful baits (that day) wouldn't be better on another day, if you see what I mean. For what it's worth I caught on betain pellets, activ8 boilies, maize, pop up corn and I think real corn but didn't get a sniff on pineapple pop ups, I went back on the pellet/a8 and started catching again.