maize and tigernuts..

Matty C

Reaction score
Hi again all.. If you read my thread about when to change stuff, you probably gathered i was looking to change the way i fished the lake im on..

Reason being, everyone ive spoken to on there, and its the same faces week in week out, fishes with boilies (as do i at the moment), but its a tricky water and not many fish come out at all..

I was thinking about changing to something no one uses, which is maize and tiger nuts, in the hope that the carp arnt wary of it and my catch rate goes up..

Question.. are Maize and tigers good baits for this time of year ? Would you mix them, or just fish one of them.. or mix with something else ?

Suggestions please!
Matt

mol

Reaction score
Personally I'm not keen on tigers, never done well on 'em. The classic way to fish tigers is a small handful of nut, mixed with a pint of hemp but it's never done me much good.

Have you thought about fishing pellets? It's a bait that almost everybody feeds with but almost never uses as a hook bait, the carp gets loads of free meals.

tortoise100

Reaction score
I have found tigger nuts to be at least as good as any boilies I have tried but only when combined with a few chopped up ones to give them a taste for it.
I always pop them up or critcally balence them with foam inserted into the nut .
Not sure about maze never done me much good would rather have fake corn with real ones.

quickcedo

Reaction score
I have never done well on Tigers unless I have prepared them myself and allowed them to exude all that sugar which, I believe is the main attractor. There are many other "particle" baits which exude the same sugars and are easier to prepare. So have a look round at others particle baits too.

noknot

Reaction score
Maize and Tiggers are both an amazing an instant bait! No need to over feed them, fish for one bite at a time, then introduce a bit more!

Last edited:

fshnfly

Reaction score
Maize is a great bait,
Im a bit of a novice with the carp fishing, but my fishing buddy considers himself a "carper" and targets the bigger fish.

I get him 25 kilo sacks of hemp and 25 kilo sacks maize , and he says that since he's been using it his catch rate has gone up, and he's catching the bigger fish too.It seems to attract a better quality fish.

He generally uses a 360 rig with a imitation popup maize and a real maize on the hair
Baits the swim with a couple of handfulls of maize and the same with hempseed.

Ive been close by using a inline method feeder with a mix of vitalin and redband conditioner, with a dynamite robin red pellet on the hair.

I catch more often , usually 8-12lb sorta size fish , he catches less but they always seem to high doubles and low 20's

cheers gaz

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
I'm not a serious carp-fisher, but petrol prices have forced me onto waters with quite a few carp in them.
For the last four or five trips, my opening gambit has been to chuck a small handful of chickpeas (soaked 24-36 hr and boiled, of course!) along the bank; as soon as a landing net has been assembled I've put out a rig with two chikpeas on the hair,about two rod's length away, and along the bank (ducks emerging with your freebies give a quick guide as to how close is too close), this being with a made-up-and-folded-down carp set-up, just plonked on the bank with the bait-runner-type-thing free.

Each time, the rig has brought me a carp before I've finished fartling about setting my box and bits level and setting up my "proper" rod.

One day, I may evolve sufficient cojones to do this in several swims for not more than forty-five minutes per swim, and leave the proper rod at home.

noknot

Reaction score
My friend took the "School Pool" in Faversham, Kent apart on Tiger nuts on day only fishing! Whilest all the boilie boy's blanked! Maize and Hemp are just as deadly and instant! Carp just love it! Go get Em!:w