How to Catch Them Books

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I have over the years collected a good many of these lovely little books just for the nostalgic value.

However, does anyone know the definitve number of books that were published in this series?

Ron?
Monk?
Anyone?

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm not sure Peter but it may have been 27. I have two, Chub and Pike and I think Pike was one of the last published with a third printing in 1961. This one lists 27 in all.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I know that The Monk has a large number of them. A complete collection is worth a few bob I can tell you.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information.

If there were 44 then it seems like I have quite a way to go ;-)

I recently managed to get the fixed Spool Reels and am chasing one other (relatively) rare one at the moment.

Mark's note about 1st editions has got me thinking as well.

We all know that a lot of the information in these little books is well out of date but some of them are really quite charming.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
That was a dealer but back in 2001. By chance the first catalogue I picked up had that. There were also 39 different ones listed. I've only got 6 but including one called "Small Fry"

T

The Monk

yes 44, I have 41 x 3 missing, cant remember which ones they are though without checking my lists, I do know some editions were short print runs and are more valuable than others, Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish was one of the rarer ones, I paid ?18 for it at the time, Yes they are lovely little books, my father bought me my first one back in the 60s, it was the Bream edition, one of the last ones to be published was Peter Stones Specimen Hunting

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
SSSsshhh Monk, Fly Fishing for Coarse Fish, on Ebay at the moment ?1.99 + P&P.

Quite a good selection, just type in 'How to catch them'.

Incidentally, Peter Stone's Specimen Hunting is ?41

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It is amazing the prices that some of these lovely little books can command.

?88 for the Specimen Fish is a bit over the top, but it was written by Peter Stone so that probably accounts for the current price(s)

T

The Monk

yes the prices of these things go very silly at times, I collect the Collins New naturalist series, I need a round 14 to complete the collection of just over 1 hundred (although they still publish these about 3 times a year and have done since 1945), the ones I want, some of them are creeping to ?2,000, a lot of money for an old book