DANISH BLUE CHEESE PASTE CHUB AND TENCH

nicky

Reaction score
made cheese paste for the first time on thursday night.
cast in had a chub on the bank in less than a minute, had lots more bites but the fish either come off or i missed the bites, very impressed with the bait though.

then went tench fishing this morning and found it was one of them days and the fish were't biting, tried bread punch, sweetcorn, friends of mine in the next swim used maggots, boilies and flavoured luncheon meat, not a tench bite between us, i then tried some of the cheese paste i had left over from chub fishing and within seconds i was into a good fish which headed straight for the weeds and snapped my 3lb maxima line, never heard of anyone using it for tench but they obviuosly liked it even though they had all these other baits on offer, does anyone think it was just luck or may i be onto something here.

also whilst missing chub bites the other night i reeled in to find a perfect impression of a pair of chub lips in the ball of paste, i'm sure they were mouthing it looking for a hook, after a few missed bites the bites became very edgy.

stikflote

Reaction score
was the paste too hard or was the piece too big if it came back with teeth marks then its too hard

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Andy Nellist is your man for cheesepaste and chub, you won't get much better advice than you get from him believe me. Try looking back at some of the old threads on this subject as well,they are a mine of information.

Massive, cheesepaste is better fished round the hook with the point exposed, hair rigs and chub can cause you problems with missed bites.

nicky

Reaction score
The cheese paste definately wasn't too hard any softer and i wouldn't have been able to cast it, the imprint was just on one side of a big lump of soft paste like as if the fish was pushing it along with it's mouth. i moulded the paste leaving the point of the hook exposed.
for the fish i caught, i attached some blue tack to the shank of a size 6 hook to give it something to hold onto which worked as i caught a fish on the first cast.

After a few missed bites i hair rigged a piece of plastic corn and moulded the paste around that, worrying thing was i had a bite the fish tore off taking line then came off when i inspected the rig the fish had snapped the corn off the hair rig leaving the hook behind, i think it just had hold of the bait and not the hook.

what about cheese paste as a tench / carp bait anyone tried it ?