fishing in germany

A

adriano wilson

ive been fishing in germany for about 7 years,fish have started to get less, the team am with used to catch about 30-40kg per man but now its gone down hill nay be some help or my be someone can give me some tips.
tight lines to all!!!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I understand that all fish in Germany caught on rod and line have to be killed by law.

I feel that this is where your problem lies. You have run out of fish.

stikflote

Reaction score
Ron that is correct, thats what comes from having a green party its sick

Beecy

Reaction score
I didnt know that, what a barmy law.

30-40kg, so thats say 20-30 bream knocked on the head in one session by one man, the rats on German rivers must be huge.

Is this just Germany or do any other countries have it ?

R

No other country that I can think of has such silly laws.

In Germany, you have to pass a complicated test before you will be issued with a licence to use a rod and line. If you are caught releasing a fish you will be arrested and imprisoned, pending a court case which you will lose.

Many German anglers travel to Holland, Denmark, France or even Ireland to do their fishing because Germany is certainly on a course to ban angling as a sport, and I fear this will be done in the next 5 years or so. Germany will be the first country in the world where angling is banned make no mistake.

The trouble with most Germans is that they do not protest against unjust laws like we do. They have a tendency to bow down to government control. We have a tendency to rebel against it.

B

Bill Cox

No ron we have a tendency to moan about it and when its to late we may have a half hearted attempt at protest. The French protest the best against what they concider unjust, were pussycats compared to them.

B

Budgie Burgess

Ron this is a common misconception that German match anglers travel abroad to fish their matchs! It is the British lads serving in BAOR that do this to any extent! Germans have always had a culture of killing their catch.Admittedly many had started to follow the way they saw British forces anglers both fish and use keep nets but by no means all!

Kill all catch policies were in place in several areas long before the Green party came into power and brought in their crazy rules.When ever we fished matchs in these areas we would often have "accidents" with our keepnets after the weigh in! and so today do many others including Germans!

I assure you that from what Ive seen the kill all policy hasnt affected match fishing in Germany for Germans anyway at all!

One thing that has suffered in recent years though is the once extremely popular series of "International" matches that the fishing clubs of the Armed forces used to put on in Germany during the old UK closed season.Most of the top UK match teams/groups would travel to these.The lifting of the UK closed season was what (admitedly combined with the extra policing of the kill policy) really finnished these.

R

My comments Budgie are based on those given to me by one of my German customers who likes to to a bit of fishing. These days he doesn't fish in Germany at all. He lives quite close to the Danish border (Flensburg) and fishes there. He doesn't need to take out a German licence with all its complexities

He is not a match fisher. Most times he likes spinning for perch, zander and pike and puts most of them back.

He has fished in England and wishes that his country had the same angling rules as us.

E

Evan

What is the German authority's reason / justification for requiring all fish caught to be killed ?
And what on earth have the Green party to do with it, how can it possibly be a conservation advantage for them to be killed ???

R

You have to understand Evan that the Green Party World Wide is against angling.

The only justification for fishing, in their eyes, be it rod and line or netting, is to catch fish to use as food.

They will not sanction any activity that catches fish for pleasure or sport. They believe that by doing so you have committed a major sin against morals.

Hence, all fish have to be killed, or don't fish at all.

A

adriano wilson

budgie
fishing along the weser near rinteln,minden.hameln were the rat catcher is pipied,piper,about 2,3 METRES deep fast waters ,very wide, bad fishing in the day but very good at night ,between 0200-0600Hrs,

B

Budgie Burgess

Adriano,those are my exact old stomping grounds! I was in Hameln for 6 years in the mid 80's.

It is strange that the bream have done a dissapearing act as the roach did exactly the same thing in my day!

From needing 100lb+(50kg) to win a match it became near impossible to catch 15lb of them! Didnt try night fishing for them but when you were out practicing/pleasure fishing you could still catch a good net but put 20+ guys in a line on a match and one person would get a reasonable catch around 15lb but everyone else would be struggling for the odd bream,nase or mainly eels! never found out for definate what caused it although salt water pollution was mentioned.

We moved most of a bigger matchs up to the Wesser around Nienburg which had always been predominately bream averaging around 4lb (2kg).Has the fishing at Nienburg been affected?

The first place we really noticed a drastic decline in the standard of the roach fishing was at Rinteln .We often had matches on the groynes there and good weights were there for everyone.This happened a year or two before the fishing at Hameln started to decline.It was as though the vast roach shoals had dissapeared.

Did the roach fishing ever pick up again? if not it must be pretty grim now the bream are dissapearing to?

B

Budgie Burgess

Out of interest has it affected the "stillwaters" off the Wesser such as Doctersee,Hess Oldendorf etc?

A

adriano wilson

budgie
doctersee is still go as ever but still cant use keep nets,no night fishing aloud!!
still catch up to 10-15Kg but good as it was in the 80;s,small to skimmer bream,roach,an pike, there is now a small amount of wild trout about 1.5Kg no bad for a fight,was u in the engr,reme ,i was in the RRW in lemgo back in the 80;s

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

What a great interaction between Budgie and Adriano. Brilliant. It can only happen on F.M.

B

Budgie Burgess

28 Amphibious and CETC.Had some brilliant fishing and loved the area/people.Glad to hear its not all doom and gloom.It was a hard pill to swallow when the roach fishing around Hameln went down the toilet.

Not been back to that area for a long time but a friend of mine who used to guide with me lives further down south on the banks of the River Mine so I try to keep up with things.

Also did a lot of fishing in the Dusseldorf/Duisburg area on the Lippe,Ruhr,Dead Arm and Mittland(?)Cannal.

B

Budgie Burgess

Baz it never fails to amaze me how the combination of angling and the internet make the world such a small place!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

Exactly mate. What were the chances of this happening?

B

Budgie Burgess

Baz if you think that this is strange-

Many years ago when I first got a computer and started surfing the internets angling sites I used to contribute to a great US carp and catfish site called Carp Net.Sadly the site is long gone.Several of the guys on there were ex pats.One of the moderators was a guy called Julian ,English but now due to work living in the US.

At the time I was working for European Catfish Trips.Whilst back at home (UK) during the winter Luke had asked me to collect a few boxes of catalogues that a regular customer (Spike) was printing of for us cheap! I called at the guys house late one evening to collect them but he wasnt in.I had no contact number for him so thought I would ring Luke in the morning to find out what was happening.

When I got in that night I went on the net and on Carp Net there was a post from Julian for me - it said that his mate Spike (!) who he used to fish with in the UK had mentioned going catfishing and my name had cropped up he asked Julian to contact me (as he hadnt my number) to let me know he had been called away on buisness but the boxes of catalogues were in his garage which he had left unlocked!

And I could relate several other similar stories! Angling is such a universal "addiction" that it breaks down many language,cultural,social barriers and certainly with the internet extending our natural love of talking fishing shrinks the world right down!

I reckon the UN could do a lot worse than buying up a good water some where and giving all the world leaders a ticket!