Don Barbel

T

Tony Rocca

I see some chap on BFW league has had a 12.8 from the Don.

Thats a BIG barbel for the Don, river record? and hopefully the fish was not lost in the pollution incident shortly after.

You heard about it Matt?

M

Mat Brown

No best not,could have been fun but I'm on thin ice at the moment ;-)

C

Christian Tyroll

Anyway Mat has two T's you would have been rumbled ;-)

W

Wolfman Woody

Tail and dorsel look a bit manky. We used to have an old fish in the Thames bit like that but worse, one of two that had names and it was 'Manky'.

Still, nothing perhaps stopping it from breeding unless it's croaked it now.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

"We used to have an old fish in the Thames bit like that"

Maybe it IS that fish and they've just said it came from the DON

Matt Brown

Reaction score
The tail damage occurs on many fish in the Don, possibly 405 or 50%. It's fin rot caused by heavy metal pollutants in the silt.

I think the problem is slowly working it's way out as most of the younger fish are in mint condition.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Its hard to get much perspective as he is also holding the fish out slightly.

J

john ledger

Tony
If i had to hazard a guess i would say from the Kilnhurst length

Lee Swords

Reaction score
The caudal penduncle looks a bit skinny to me

and the shoulder depth is on the narrow side

It also looks empty

10lb 9oz on fox digitals would be my guess.

not saying that the bloke fibbed though

D

DAN (s.p.y.)

its a well known fact that anglers like to add weight to there catch but what the hell why cant it waigh that big

J

john ledger

The Don is Pandoras Box awaiting to open and will always suffer pollution,old mine workings ,chemical plants and total apathy from the general public.
In my opinion only the higher reaches above Hillsborough will survive,if that fish is over 12lb my name is Abu Hamza

D

DAN (s.p.y.)

i to hope it wasnt killed in the pollution
shame about all the other fish
and carp that perished hope the river comes back soon. as it is a river well used by anglers.

njb51

Reaction score
If that is over 12lb then my p.b barbel of 8lb 2oz must have actually weighed about 18lb!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I'm not sure that when anglers claim a fish is bigger than it is they do it deliberately although some do.A lot of it is down to sloppy weighing practice.

I happened to witness a fish being weighed recently on the Avon. The fish was weighed in the net without the net being disengaged fron the handle.The fish was then returned to the water level in the net which then got wet again.The net head was then weighed.

The fish was a very good one but in no way could it have been accurately weighed given the above.