witham barbel

ingy

Reaction score
hi im new on here first post has anyone ever caught barbel in the witham i know they put some in about 10years ago and i live right by the iver and walk it every day and i have never seen one any help or info at all

ingy

Reaction score
thanks guys for the welcome hope to find out more soon , there is rumers that some fish have been out and at 8/9 lbs unconfermed

J

john ledger

Ingy
If you want to catch barbel on the Witham it will be the upper river below Grantham.
Long Bennington produced two in a match for Malcolm Stringer 11lb and 12lb.
They are present all along Grantham water and another place to try is the small weir pool at Foston.
Malcolm belongs to Collingham AC and is a very good angler and these fish where caught

ingy

Reaction score
thanks for that at least there is some then and i bet they are hard to get hold of in the clear very weedy water thanks for telling me

m26

Reaction score
My friend and I have had several small barbel on one of the run off drains that runs parallel to lincoln city fc. Only about 1-2lb but a welcome catch. Not particularly hard to catch as long as one of the many chub in the stream do not pick up the bait 1st. Luncheon meat, sweetcorn over a bed of hemp works wonders.

R

Raymond Asqutih

HI ingy,

Just a quickie on your enquiry.I live 5mins away from Foston on the upper river.I have spoken to a good number of people regarding the Barbel in the river and I am aware of a few large fish present on the Grantam water.Not had one yet,you reap what you sow as they say.Stacks of chub though.My visits are very sparse.Give it a go.

Beecy

Reaction score
sorry to take this of track a litle, but do either of you chaps who are local know what the river is now like just bellow lincoln, washingbrough/five mile house ?

I used to fish here regularly years ago and also on the sincel

R

Raymond Asqutih

Sorry Beecy,

Ive only fished Washingrough for roach on the Sincil drain.Stopped traveling over Lincoln way after they dredged the drain and could no longer catch.
Do not know if the drain is fishing again.

Anyone Know?.

S

Sean Meeghan

Wow that was a shock! Thought Mr Ledger had come back to to haunt us until I saw the date.

nathan creasey

Reaction score
Paul,ive caught barbel from sincil drain a few years ago and all we used was hemp and luncheon meat.Think the Poles have been trying to catch them for a snack though so theyre quite jittery.try at the first gate towards queens park school and you should do alright.Think they were about 2lb then.

nathan creasey

Reaction score
where have you been going for them?would it be bardney area by per chance?I did a few sessions there last year but got fed up of one bloke spitting his dummy out every time i saw him like it was the worlds best kept secret!miserable git.Still might give it a go again this year.If you want to keep it quiet then PM me and mums the word.Im busy on the Trent for a while yet now the water has gone down.had them to 27 a season ago so looking at trying to better that.

nathan creasey

Reaction score
Ive fished it for donkeys too when i was younger but we preferred the sewers outlet at washy.You fished it?At bardney go to opposite the factory.you can drive down the side of the river near where the house is on the corner but go round the back not past his front door as this is a private road.You then can drive down a grass path and park paralell to the river.I baited up with maize that i bought from a farm shop in Metheringham for about ?7 for 20kg i think.Bargain!If you stick in a few kilos everyday for a couple of days you should be in with a chance.I heard plenty topping in the night but only ended up with a snotty.better than a blank though!Ive never actually seen any but have been told by plenty of people they are there.Prebaiting is the key i reckon.