Swordsy gets an edge

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Lee, interesting article. My match fishing is confined to those run by my club and one win in 20 odd years sums up my ability! Two things particularly fascinated me. Is your Tampon rig still effective if bread is secured just beneath the surface -to beat floating bread bans-or will the fact it is merely rolled around the line like a fag wrapper mean that it will disintegrate once soaked?
Secondly, the 'art' of feeding on commercials. When you said your mate didnt feed at all and bagged up do I take this was in winter? If I sat beside someone in summer feeding twice as heavy as me the usual result is they catch twice the amount I do! Can you please explain the logic behind your friends thinking. I assume you are suggesting fish will back off large amounts of feed/pellet but as carp are greedy buggers what then attracts them to your friends' carp single corn hookbait? Of course the man who masters feeding is in total control of his angling destiny, thats why after 40 years I am still mystified by all the contradictions.

C

Clive Evans 1

Peter. If you look on the the rigs page for Bread Roll Rig you will find a more detailed tying of the "tampon" that explains how to avoid disintegration by wrapping the bread in coils of line.

Using with a lead allows you to fish at any depth you like and is effective.
Incidently, the lead version is a great chub catcher, cast just upstream of overhanging greenery.

But it works best free-lined on top with a floating line. Contrary to expectation line on the surface does not spook fish.

Nice drawing Lee.

C

Clive Evans 1

Ps. I hope you dont get a roasting for the bare hook!!

Lee Swords

Reaction score
Alright Clive....I think there are more things to worry about with commercial fisheries than bare hooks, eh?

But you never know some clever bugger is always up for a bit of banter.

Hows your fishing doing?

Mine is pretty good did my first ton in a match last weekend on the paste feeder it was only good enough for fourth but I fished methods that I enjoy rather than the muppet which does my nut in. I could have won one but lost a few too many fish bullying them to the net. Picked up money everyday fri, sat and sun 2x fourth and a second with a biggest fish and a third in the pairs.

Peter you hit the nail on the head with the feeding...get that sorted and its easy!

And yes it works great sub-surface

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Thanks chaps. Lee any chance you could answer my question about the non feeding as opposed to those who feed heavy. And did the match you refer to take place winter or summer? What was your pals logic in not feeding at all and why should carp come to his bait as opposed to those surrounded by freebies?

C

Clive Evans 1

Blimey Lee. Working till late, match-fishing all weekend, and posting at 2.20am!

Dont you ever sleep?

Lee Swords

Reaction score
The carp were shying away from freebies probaby returning at night, they get a lot of stick in this venue.

Anything that looked like a prepared swim was avoided.

Yes it was late autumn through till spring when the fishes lower metabolism allowed them to be choosey in summer they have to feed or they will starve.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Sorted , thanks. The bit about winter/summer has huge relevance. Like most anglers I slacken off and feed very little in winter but really make up for it when they are having it.

IVAN OWEN

Reaction score
I would just like to pick up on the issue of Gary Knowles foul bottom. Well its absolutely true! Maybe that's what gives Gary the 'Edge' with his big fish exploits. He's obvoiusly eating the ruddy pellets judging from the smells that he regularly emits. Sorry Gary but you really do stink mate!

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I know it's 7 months later but I'm doing a bit of research related to floating pole.

How do you stop the floating pole filling up with water?

C

Clive Evans 1

Just spotted this one Mark.
I dont think you can keep all water out but it can't fill up.
A polyball on the top section keeps it floating, and the angle from seat to water does the rest.
Never used it myself but that's how I've seen it done.
A very good tactic for match-fishing.

F

Fred Bonney

It's being banned in a few places,hardly angling!
Laying your pole on the water with a short hooklength and a strong elastic waiting for a self hooking.