TROLLING FOR PIKE.

D

Denis Goulding

Well,
Thanks to Mr.Marsden my trolling for pike has reached new height's,i had used finders before but I did not really use them properly.Now having my own and having used it a bit,trolling for pike is all about locating and then finding the depth and then LASTLY trying to make the beasties grab hold.
On Sunday i will be out again on Lough Ennel in mullingar in Ireland,trolling in a competition for pike,the last comp i had 17 to 6.5lb's there are a lot of jack's in Ennel thanks to a certain body that will remain nameless,only 2 pike over 10 pounds were recorded that day,this comp is c and r and a heaviest fish comp,if it wasn't i would of walked it last time..
A question for u all!!!!!!
I can find the pike but i cannot seem to get through the smaller pike to the bigger ones,both my rod's went on 3 occasions the last time,all jack's.There is no dead or live baiting aloud .The fish i caught were between 12-25 feet down,what baits would u use and what tactic's would u employ after locating the pike....The fish will be found in group's off shelf's but a lot of the lake seem's devoid of fish,so trolling back and forth over the area is the norm,if u can get a spot as there could be anywhere up to 35 boats trolling in a 2 mile area!!!

Thank's again
Regards,
Denis...

R

Rob Brownfield

I think if i was you, I would use a Rapala or similar minnow bait on one rod...to hook up the normal jacks, but on the other rod, fish a LARGE lure such as the bigger Grandmas/Jakes, Bucher Depth raiders, AC Plug or some such. You will still hit small jacks, but, you should have the chance of a bigger fish hitting it.

Another bait that seems to attract the bigger fish for me is a trolled Spinnerbait of about 1 1/2 oz. Big is not always best, but I think in this case, it may be your only option.

Hope this helps

oh..and normally...although there are ALWAYS exceptions, if you start hitting Jacks, then its unlikely there are big fish about. I tend to find the bigger females are on there own, or in small packs of similar sized fish...if that makes sense

D

Denis Goulding

Rob,

U are a super bloke,thank's again for you help,i have not tried the old spinnerbait's yet,what colour's do u reckon...????.
Back to the story at hand,i have tried u to 10 inch plug's like big mac's and the salmo range up to 9 inches the jack's are lashing them ..I was gona try bouncing some shad's like u recommended the last time but they still have not arrived from England,that's nearly 2 week's now.
I found on the last trip a couple 0f large fish out on their own alright and went over them several time's to no avail,i am going to get spme plug's in the morning when i finish the night shift,buyt your mind explodes at the variety of bait's.Any particular favourites and colour's of yer favourites i know u have told me the plug's but which colours..

Thank's again Rob,anyone else want to throw their 2 pence worth in.

Regards,
Denis...............

D

David Will

Denis one thing that works for me is to anchor up over a spot where I have had a 'hit'on the troll with smaller lures.I mark the spot with a marker of polystyrene and anchor up within casting range.I then altenate between bigger and smaller lures.If I do catch a small Pike I take my time over playing it.This does spur the big girls into action sometimes.Like Rob say's bigger baits do sort out the bigger fish but you have to expect far fewer takes which is why I shorten the odds by finding the fish first with smaller lures.Good luck.

D

Denis Goulding

David,
Thank's for that i will give it a whirl in the morning..

Regards,
Denis..

G

Gary Knowles

Denis,

Try slow trolling with 10-12oz deadbaits. One of my favorite big pike methods.

R

Rob Brownfield

Gary has hit the nail on the head...that was going to be my next suggestion. I use a wye lead on the line, but make the deadbait bouyant. That way, if u get a hit, u can play the fish, whilst the other bait pops up off the bottom. u sometimes get a hit on that one two. it stops u fouling the rocks etc as well. Another advantage with a bouyant trolled bait is that it has more action.

As for spinner baits, the one that gets me the most fish is a brown and orange skirt with a copper willow blade. Get from Jenniyfields Tackle..they will make them up for you.

Hope this helps a little

D

Denis Goulding

Rob,Gary,
Thanks a bunch guy's..We eneded up on sunday with 4 jack's to 6lb,the fish this week were lying in a 60ft hole about a half mile long and 200-225 yards wide it had been cold all week,all shoaled up full of fish of all kind's i guess,not a fish would take any trolled artifical as that was all we were allowed fish with,we caught the 4 pike in shallow water.I went out on monday local resevoir( allowed to use deadbaits ) and we had 1 pike 18lb brute,the best put together pike i have seen in a long time clean as a whistle,my nates p.b.(well done scully),thanks rob as we could not get a hold of shad artificals we used bottom bouncing roach deadbaits( drifting along in a nice bay) after previously trolling dead's and artificials for 2 hours without a touch,it has gone very cold lately and fish seem to have given us the fingers,i have blanked 4 outing's in a row now,not good and really trying hard at it,over the last few sesions i have not tried really hard and have caught a lot of pike,maybe the pike can sense this..lol...Well i am out again sat,sunday and monday and i will try trolling if its warm,but i will definetly be bottom bouncing..Thanks again for the tip's boy's and i will be in touch,any further info will be greatfully accepted,how are u doing at the moment>>??

Regards,
Denis..

R

Rob Brownfield

Denis, pleased we could help....keep at it.

The roach bottom bouncing rig has the same effect as the shads...so I am glad it all worked out for u!

D

Denis Goulding

Yes ,thanks lad's i appreciate u replying to my post's,if u need any help on any aspect of flyfishing or flytying u know where to come..I will help u out as much as i can..

Regards,
Denis..

R

Rob Brownfield

Denis...to late mate...I tie flies commercially..lol...Pike flies that is *wink*

D

Denis Goulding

Rob,
Well they are just oversized rainbow lures ain't they but great for beginners,big hook's easy to tie..lol.

R

Rob Brownfield

Denis, cheeky bugger..oversized rainbow lures my foot..lol..all i do is tie a sprat to a sea hook and sell it for ?3..lol

I tell u one thing though, I still cannot tie a buzzer on a 4/0..lol

Charlie, thanx for that...i must admit, i tend to only tie for mates or people who have seen the flies and want some...reason is i have a full time job that takes up many hours, so I only tye on the odd evening etc. Having said that, I am about to tie some up for a friend in Derby for hos local river (Pre weighted so they can be used on spinning gear) so i will tie a few extras and send them too you......might be a laugh ;)