Fishery Rules!!!

dezza

Reaction score
Amongst others, I have noticed the following strange rules on a fishery in my area.

1: No slapping or tapping Poles!

Looks like they have Polish birds as ticket money collectors.

2: You must use a floating float!

?????????????

3: No knotts above leader!

What's a knott?

4: Fishermen must sit on a peg!

Ouch!

Perhaps some of you can explain what all this lot means.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
1) It's ruse to make sure the fisheries ground baits are bought.
2) One of those Clattercote floats that sinks and has no fish on the end
3) Must be a weight named after a "mountain" in the Lake District
4) Stops gases from polluting the fishery,a rule brought after a visit by a certain and renowned northern angler visited just the once!

dezza

Reaction score
Oh and:

"Course Fishing Here"

So you fish around a series of little ponds and similar to golf you move onto the next one after catching a fish.

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
If the owner's regard for his customers and his fish reflects his regard for the English language, avoid the place.
He doesn't care enough what the paying public think to get a literate friend (if he has one) to check over his notice board; so he probably knows and cares as little about fish, fishing, and fishermen.
Proper dyslexics* know what they're up against and how to sort out a decent show before they go public. The fact that they don't necessarily bother on FM doesn't show lack of respect, just a feeling of being comfortable amongst friends, or so I hope. WE know what they mean. Usually. (Wink!)
But when it's your interface with those you hope will pay you...

* I've had to correct that once, I really hope I got it right this time...

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Slapping is a shallow pole rig and pellet literally swung around in a circular motion to make a double splash as it hits the water and tapping is splashing a pole tip on the surface. Both methods of attracting carp. Also very irritating to the anglers on the adjoining pegs, but effective.........

dezza

Reaction score
Chubbs had a huge factory in South Africa and were a very good customer. My mate who ran a firearms shop had one of their walk-in safes.

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]Some of the rules for a fishery near Maidenhead, Berks
[/FONT]

1. No ground bait or loose feed of any kind - fish using what is on the hook only
2. Always keep banks clean of bait. (Seems quite straight forward in view of above)
3. No boilies.
4. No nuts ( Possibly relating to anyone who's caught fishing there)
5. Do not change swims unless you take your tackle with you. (tricky one this???)

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
In view of no.1, has anyone ever paid to fish there, and what were they thinking?

I suppose you could try a big pellet wrapped in soft paste, and strike at imaginary bites every few minutes...

barbelboi

Reaction score
In view of no.1, has anyone ever paid to fish there, and what were they thinking?

I suppose you could try a big pellet wrapped in soft paste, and strike at imaginary bites every few minutes...

It's £10 to fish there, I went there once before I knew the rules some years ago with a friend - we detoured back to the Royal Berks lakes instead. People were in fact going through the motions of fishing with some hiding behind bushes to lob pellets in the margins. Apparently the owner has cctv covering the water to catch people doing this.

cg74

Reaction score
If the owner's regard for his customers and his fish reflects his regard for the English language, avoid the place.
He doesn't care enough what the paying public think to get a literate friend (if he has one) to check over his notice board; so he probably knows and cares as little about fish, fishing, and fishermen.
Proper dyslexics* know what they're up against and how to sort out a decent show before they go public. The fact that they don't necessarily bother on FM doesn't show lack of respect, just a feeling of being comfortable amongst friends, or so I hope. WE know what they mean. Usually. (Wink!)
But when it's your interface with those you hope will pay you...

* I've had to correct that once, I really hope I got it right this time...

What a wondrous thread this is, not!!

Just an excuse for a group of sour old tw*ts to belittle and snipe at someones poor spelling. Well done, feel better for it?

* - Insert vowel, my choice would be the first one.

barbelboi

Reaction score

Just an excuse for a group of sour old tw*ts to belittle and snipe at someones poor spelling. Well done, feel better for it?

[FONT=&quot]I don’t believe that the thread was started to snipe at someone’s poor spelling and it seem obvious to me. IMO it was started to snipe at a fishery manager/owner or their representative’s poor spelling, on an official notice board, that couldn’t be bothered to take the time to assess what was indicated in his rules of the fishery. :eek:mg:[/FONT]

watatoad

Reaction score
Amongst others, I have noticed the following strange rules on a fishery in my area.

Looks like they have Polish birds as ticket money collectors.

Response:- and I thought they liked a firm hand...hehehe

?????????????

Respose:- sounds sensible

What's a knott?

Answer:- The Knott is a fell in the English Lake District, standing above Hayeswater in the Far Eastern Fells. It is an outlier of Rampsgill Head, being the high point of the ridge from there to Rest Dodd.

Ouch!

Response:- To prevent you sitting on Poles...hehehe

Perhaps some of you can explain what all this lot means.

I have tried...hehehe

laguna

Reaction score

= No GBH against polish people illegally taking fish

= Always a good idea to use something buoyant, this is not as dense as it may seem

= knot·ter a person who ties knots - but no use if the 'matchman' is better

= Helpful if you forget your seat, much more comfortable that standing I would say!

richiekelly

Reaction score

whats a twot?