Hot tip for Grafham

M

mark williams 4

They're on the pin fry in Savages. To get them, use a floating line, short leader and three or four Diawl Bachs spaced about two feet apart. Cast among the feeding fish and don't retrieve - they take on the drop.
Can't say who gave me this tip, but it's the way he's caught a LOT of big 'bows

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I've always thought that the Diawl Bach looks a little bit like a pin fry.

R

I say Mark by the way, it's called a rainbow trout.

I'm a bit that way actually, ever since my English teacher (bless her) made me take 50 lines for putting in stupid abbreviations in an essay.

:eek:)

M

mark williams 4

Abbreviations I can tolerate (where suitable apostrophes are added) and I don't mind the odd bit of humour (such as 'swimming eyes' for fry and 'pasties' for stocked crap, er, carp) but I loathe unfunny eupemisms such as 'snig' and 'snake' for eel, snapper for pike (especially as there IS a fish called a snapper) and other unedifying nicknames.

'The Hat'? At least it tells me something about you.

Mark '****' Williams

R

Actually the word "Snig" is a fairly correct alternate name for an eel that has been used in the North and Midlands of England for many many years. Other names were "Grigs", "Grags, "Gorges" and "Grabs".

I agree, eels are NOT snakes. The term Snig, in angling terms at any rate, means an eel and nothing else.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

what I find stupid is things like 'Boris' and talking about 'big old girls' for Barbel

R

I fully agree Ed. And worst of all, "Billys" or Sgt. Majors for Perch.

And then there are the people that call barbel: "Barbs" - Uuughh!!

There are some very legitimate local alternate names for some of our fish, for example: "Finnock" or "Sewin" for seatrout, "dart" or "dare" for dace. It's not so long ago that the term "Jack", meant a pike of any size, not just a small one, although I do tend to think that the term: "Jack" denoted a male pike which doesn't get as large as the female.

The Ruffe becomes a Pope the further south you go. Where it is called a Ruffe, it is either termed a Tommy Ruffe in the north ot east or a Daddy Ruffe in the midlands or west. Both terms are delightful, traditional and endearing. I don't like the term: "Gonks" for gudgeon, yet I don't mind Gobies, which is a corruption of the specie's scientific name.

Above all I love the proper or scientific name. Myself and my friend John, hardly ever use the term Pike or tench. We call them Esoxes and Tincas.

It certainly sounds much better and more erudite if you say to a person who asks you if you have caught anything: "Aye me duck, a few Scardinius erythropthalmus and a couple of Rutilus rutilus."

:eek:)

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
4 flies on a trace? That's not fly fishing, it's longlining!! :)

R

In Scotland, it is quite normal to use 4 flies on a leader, easpecially in traditional loch style fishing. I often use 3 flies on a long leader, but never more.

The debate as to whether multi-fly leaders are sporting or not has gone on long enough.

I certainly have hooked two fish at the same time, but generally I manage to land them both.

M

mark williams 4

Most three-fly leaders are designed to get the flies to different depths (theoretically).

The four-fly rigs being used at Grafham are just to get more of the same at the same spot - a 'shoal' of flies, if you like.

Personally, I've nothing against using six flies at once (it's OK for mackerel, after all) but if you hook two fish at the same time, and one snaps off or you have trouble netting them, it's a disaster for which you have yourself to blame!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
It's only words, as the song says.

Dogs, skimmers, snigs, snakes, pasties, lumps, barbs, rodneys, bandits, stripies, jacks, esox, flirters, tincas, gobies, kylies, pope, zeds, redfins....

I'm sure you can think of loads more.

Some I like, some I don't.

P

paul williams 2

But as long as we all understand and enjoy what we are being told.....what the heck?

M

mark williams 4

Me and Ron are just Grumpy Old Men. Other things I hate are the phrase "In five minutes' time" In five minutes of what else? You don't need to add 'time' to it.
"I was literally laughing my head off" What? Your head actually fell off?
And I hate kids using the Australian inflection, making every statement into a question. I always say: "Sorry. I don't know. I thought you were telling me." And the over-use of the word like. They say: I was, like, talking to my friend..." And I say: "What, using sign language?"
And moronic chefs going on about 'crispy' food. What? The adjective is 'crisp' and you don't need to add a 'y' to it, like you would to adjectivise a noun. It's just stupidy people ruining our finey language...

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
And chefs talking about pan-frying something. What else are you going to fry it in, a tea mug?

E

'At this moment in time ' instead of 'now'

'sikth' instead of 'sixth'

'I fink so' instead of 'I think so'

M

mark williams 4

And 'wicked' and 'bad' and other words used in their exact opposite meaning.
And fat people wearing sports clothes. I don't dress like a Hooray Henry because I'm not rich and I'm not posh. Who would I be fooling? And who do they think they're fooling? Expecting us to think they are suddenly going to break into sprint?

And for that matter, effin Vauxhall Frontera 4x4s with the suffix 'Sport' - what sport would that be then? The sport of driving slowly waiting to break down while consuming an Iraqi oilfield?

M

mark williams 4

Oh and UI almost forgot the rest of the cheffy bullsh1t, like 'degalzing' the pan; i.e. dissolving the burnt bits.
Then they go on about 'caramelising' vegetables which have absolutely no sugar content. To55ers

E

Caramelising is just an excuse to cover up when they burn everything

M

mark williams 4

What about that advert for Clio, when the pretty girl and the bloke are comparing the Eiffel Tower and then it cuts to him and he says Blackpool Tower, and then goes 'Brrr' and hugs his own shoulders.

Paris is a warm place then is it? Despite the fact that its climate is almost identical to that of Blackpool.

Speaking of the French....

Ah, I've just noticed it's time for my medication...

R

And don't get me started on this one.

South Africans have a horrible habit of saying "just now" when they mean anything between next week and 50 years hence. Or they might answer a question by saying "Yes No!"

Those so called well spoken BBC announcers who say "Sawring" and "drawring" for sawing or drawing. Now that really grates.

As regards dress, obese, or even pregnant women who go around with naked middriffs.

Have they ever thought how horrible they look?

And those fat blokes with bum cleavages!!