wooden platforms at fisheries

theartist

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they do scare them away, its just that commercials are so heavily stocked theres bound to be some left around and the competition for food will mean others return after a short time.

Nothing increases the catch rate better than a noisy set up on the other side of the pond ;)

Lord Paul of Sheffield

Reaction score
I've just fished one today and it's impossilbe to walk on a wooden platform without noise or vibtarion - but fisher were topping right as I stood settting my chair up.

chav professor

Reaction score
Bare feet!!!!????
june16018.jpg

dannytaylor

Reaction score
another fan of the "hobbit style" on platforms :D Its maybe more an issue with fish in "wilder"/ quiter waters but on busy commercial fisheries the fish will be used to the disturbance??

081.jpg

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Bare feet, splinters and rat urine?

Sounds like an open invitation to Weil's disease.

Carpet slippers were being used on the gravelly banks of Tring way back (either Fred J. Taylor or **** Walker wrote about a local old-timer using them) for exactly the same job.
Slippery (no pun intended) when wet, though.

dezza

Reaction score
In my opinion, the fish in heavily stocked commercial waters are different to wild fish. The disturbance on wooden platforms actually attract fish on some of these waters, announcing that it's food time.

Personally I hate such platforms. They make the water look artificial. Its better to do what they do at Alderfen. There they have created a flat spot amongst the bankside and put a layer of gravel down. It might not suit the matchman's tastes however as they want a completely flat surface to put their box with all it's supporting scaffolding.

Some matchmen won't be happy until all lakes are concreted and stocked with 1 pound F1 carp now will they?

andreagrispi

Reaction score
They do ruin the look of a water.

They don't evoke as much noise and vibration as gravel does, but I've almost slipped in once or twice in wet weather.

I have had some massive catches though from fishing off them - near and at range.

dezza

Reaction score
Oh and I don't like the idea of people in this country going barefoot. In Africa for instance, thousands of people die each day from deseases transmitted to bare feet, to say nothing of snakebite!

Don't do it!

pertinaxone

Reaction score
Oh and I don't like the idea of people in this country going barefoot. In Africa for instance, thousands of people die each day from deseases transmitted to bare feet, to say nothing of snakebite!

Don't do it!

At the pond where I fish they have wire mesh (weldmesh) across all the platforms to make them grippy, which has replaced chicken wire - neither good for feet, lines or hooks!

Last week up in scotland, we fished at Orchill which has astroturf covering it's wooden platforms... :eek:mg:

Jason

chav professor

Reaction score
i'm sure if you were to jump up and down, throw your tackle down and use a power drill to mix the ground bait - not to mention slapping your pole down on the surface -would work well on some of the worst 'Ton-up' comercials.

BBC news footage of aid workers arriving at refugee camps spring to mind ready to feed the starving masses....

little oik

Reaction score
Love them or hate them they work. Can we have all your unwanted ones please .I would say that 85% of lakes in the West and North West would be unfishable without them (unless you have a boat ).The main problem we have is the maintenance of them .What with Barbies and weather and the fisheries boards with no money you are literally taking your life in your hands on some of them (remember hopscotch at school )we broken planks rotten timbers and just dereliction.Some of the best lakes around here have 1 or 2 usable platforms suitable for 2 or 4 fishermen This weekend (being a Bank Holiday )on some of the lakes you will need to be on them this evening to have a chance of fishing them We are trying to address the problem by putting in the plastic looking wood but that makes them very slippery.
As long as you are quiet (footfalls etc )then you can catch fish off them.Personally I cannot see a problem with them but its horses for courses

barbelboi

Reaction score
Not a lover of most commercials and generally avoid them, apart from MF and one other - IMO the introduction of wooden platforms is just another reason for avoiding them.
(Apart from the annual Clattercote do of course):wh

S

Scott Whatmore

I think that at some venues its good to have set out platforms whether wood or anything else. Take Clattercote as an example. If not for the platforms only the dam wall would be fishable.

If there's regular noise of any sort, the fish will be used to it and not be disturbed for too long.

It's not possible to have green-belt banks around every fishery and indeed some man-made platforms are necessary to allow disabled access.

Love or hate commercials as you see fit, but they are here to stay. We'd all like picturesque perfection wherever we fish but that's the stuff of dreams. An ideal world would provide that: but we don't live there!!

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
They really dont have any place on fisheries and I hate them with a passion (I will not fish some swim on a local lake because of them!).............BUT,and its big BUT,some people are disabled/overweight so have difficulty moving or are moving on in years and the knees are not too good anymore and for that reason every fishery should have one or two....
In fact one bit of river I fish from time to time has installed two because its almost impossible to put big barbel back carefully due to the high banks....and we all know how long it takes for a big fish to recover after a longish fight...

Strange as it may seem some people love them!!