Fly Fishing for Pike

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of having a go for pike on the fly. Has anyone got any experience of this, and would like to share it?

B

Budgie Burgess

In the past there has been a lot of disscusion on the forum about this subject Graham.Lots of very varying opinions on the best tackle,best flies etc even if its "sporting" or not!

I started fly fishing for pike just to extend some of the trout res's I fished at the times seasons! Found it an extremely good method for fishing over near surface weed or very shallow margins.

Ive used various size outfits from my saltwater big game stuff down to normal reservoir tackle.Ive come to the conclussion that an AFTM8 is all you need.

Some of the "Bug" taper lines available from the US are helpfull in casting the large flies used.These lines tend to have shorter,heavier heads than normal lines.

For the leader I use a brand of nylon called "Tynex" which is very stiff and made up with several sizes into a tapered leader helps turnover,this can be quite difficult with the large flies.

On the subject of casting being able to "double haul" really helps.

The tippet is made from some nylon covered wire that I got from the US "In-Fisherman" magazine.Its really unique in that to attach your fly you just put it through the eye,twist it up by hand then heat it with a cigarette lighter! this then "bonds" together.Ive had upper 20's on it without any problems.You can use a small snap link to atach your flies to the wire but once again Ive found this causes problems with tangling on the cast.

The most used fly I have is the 8" Dalburgh (sp?) Diver.This is a fly made up with a spun then clipped to shape deer hair head.The head is shaped to give a coller which acts like a diving vane.
The body uses various light weight,water reppellant materials that give the impression of size but dont add weight.Once youve mastered the art of spinning deer hair they are simple to make.

Dont like "Zonker" strip type flies as they get waterlogged and heavy which makes casting hard.

I normally use a floating line as most of the time I choose the fly rod these days it is to fish shallow areas but I have caught them on the same bouyant DD flies fished on fast sinking lines kind of "Booby nymph" style.

The reel I use is a System 2 disc drag reel that I origonally got (and still use) for bonefish and permit.All though that said any reservoir sized fly reel works ok and Ive used my Bob Church Line Shooter for Hi D Shooting head work no problems.

Not a very wide range of experience but Ive stuck to what Ive wrote because it has worked for me!

Never understood the guys who reccomend heavy salt water tackle as its just not needed.The stuff they reccomend is often the same outfits as used for sailfish!

AFTM7-8 casts the flies and certainly (if used correctly) lands fish just as quick as most lure outfits. Ive found the old Normark Speed Tip to make a good pike fly rod. I think its rated rather broadly at 8-10(?) but I use an 8 on mine ok.

Well thats about all I can offer Graham.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Budgie, good advice appreciated.

I had one short go on an Irish lough with a fly rod for pike (someone else's) and I know what you mean about knowing how to double haul.

S

Sean Meeghan

I'm very jealous Roger! Very well done!

Graham, I use a 10 weight Fulling Mill rod, but it is slightly over-rated and would probably be better with a 9 line. Personally I think a 9 weight rod is ideal, but you need a fast action. Not much to add to what Budgie says otherwise. I've used my gear on the Wharfe and its been great fun with Pike up to low double figures. I've also had Perch up to just under 2lb.

I think the problem with fly fishing for pike is that its always been a bit suck it and see with sea and reservoir tackle being pressed into service. Certainly I found it difficult to find a suitable rod in my local shops and had to resort to mail order, which is never ideal. Flies are really easy to tie and it fun playing around with new materials.

S

Sean Meeghan

Oh and keep the trace as minimalist as possible: no swivels, just a secure snap link (not the dog lead type as they come undone)and a small ring at either end. Casting feels realy horrible until you get used to it, but you soon get into the rythm.

M

mark williams 4

Graham. I have been similarly afflicted in recent weeks, now starting to look for the rod I'll need. I'm sticking with my Okuma Airstream reel.

It might be fun to get the FM 'We'll try anything once' gang together for an experimental water-thrashing - maybe one of the big ressies a bit later in the year.

We could then pool our lack of knowledge (with the exceptions of the sauvants above) and take the mickey out of each others flies....

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Sean. Great idea Mark, let's go for it, later in the year (September/October?) as you say. Is Chew the venue to go for?

M

mark williams 4

Chew is about as far from my house as it's possible to be in the UK.... but it would be more of an adventure.

There's Grafam and Ruttie, too, and for that matter Llandegfedd.

What's good about fly fishing for pike is that the rules on most trout fisheries allow it all year round...

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I've done a bit of pike fishing with the fly, mainly on the Warks Avon and a couple of fenland drains. I used mainly Dahlberg Divers that I tied up years ago for bass fishing and an 8 inch wire trace.

I used a 9 1/2 foot weight 8 Sage at the time with a 9 weight bug taper floating line. If I wanted to pike fish with the fly on a regular basis I would get a 9 foot weight 9 or 10 rod. Any decent disc drag reel is fine by the way.

You certainly don't need the sort of brute gear used for sailfish or marlin.

B

Budgie Burgess

Thing is Ron, 9-10 weights are what I use for Marlin and Sailfish!

S

Sean Meeghan

I'd avoid Grafham and Rutland. Very unreliable for a day trip in my experience.

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
If you want to learn about all apsects of how to fly fish for pike properly, in gin clear water I'd recomend a day with Mark Anderson (Orvis endorsed guide) on the Thames around staines. The river here is Gin Clear and Mark is one of the most experienced Pike Fly anglers in the UK. I've been out with him a couple of times and have learnt loads in a relatively short space of time. He costs ?150 a day including use of boat and a huge range of top of the line Orvis Pike gear.

R

Richard,

I think Mark Anderson is a South African. I seem to remember speaking to him a few years ago.

R

That's right, he IS a Zimbo.

He certainly will know what he's doing when it comes to fly fishing for big predatory species. He probably grew up catching tigerfish in the Zambesi.

B

Budgie Burgess

At ?150 a day I should imagine he could afford to buy the Zambesi!

Richard Baker 6

Reaction score
?150 a day is not a lot when you consider that this is someones full time proffession. even if he fills every working day thats only ?750 a week pre tax. When you consider the amount of hours you get for this, the use of tackle, the boat and fuel, permits to fish the weirs etc its great value.

Also when you consider that you're average guide in the states charges around $450 a day (approx ?240) and that his rates haven't changed in three years its not a bad price for a once every so often treat.

B

Budgie Burgess

No considering that he is fishing on the Thames and not having to shell out for a trout waters day ticket I think its very expensive.

I admit that due to the fact that he is both fly fishing and from a boat he wouldnt be able to take more than one (two at a push I would have thought?)at a time the price per head so to speak has to be higher than some one taking groups but even still.

I think that one of the reasons proffesional guiding hasnt taken off in this country is the excessive prices charged.You cant compare the US to here as it has a totally different out look to expenditure on leisure..

I would very much doubt the guy fills all of his working days.Also there is his "off" season but all the same its what the punter pays on the day that is really the issue as he wont think of all these things.

Maybe your used to a different life style to me Richard but when I was guiding full time I used to clear ?300 a week not including "tips". I thought that was fair enough when taking in to account the terrific life style I had.Guiding is hard work (no need to tell me that!) but its a dam site better than stood on a pub door,working in a factory or digging holes for a living!

Ive never (other than in the world of game fishing) known of a guide in the UK who makes his living soley through guiding!

I think that a lot of the problem (?) with the pike fly fishing scene at the moment is that it is being hijacked by the game fishing world!Good in the fact that it is hopefully making some trout anglers aware of the pikes sporting value but bad in the fact that the "snob" factor and daft money is there with it.

Piking should be for everyone be it with lures,bait or fly lets not change that eh? I bet theres not many guys on "normal" salarys that could afford that sort of money? even for the "occaisional treat" Im sure many could spend it better.

But then again thats most likely why I will never be rich through angling!