John Wilson Heritage Wensum Barbel Rod WHR 120

michaels

Reaction score
I`ve just inherited one of these rods, the John Wilson Heritage Wensum Barbel Rod Whr 120, length 12` usual Heritage design, burgundy colour, screw down reel seat, good through action. Unfortunately the blank does not specify the test curve. I`m assuming it’s around 1¾ Ib.
I’ve done the usual, phoning Masterline, but they do not have any information, they think /suggest it’s an older model? The catalogues which include the Heritage rang, which they have retained, date back to around 2001, and don’t list this particular name & model number. I`ve tried the Local tackle shops, but they either have no idea or they have dumped the older Masterline catalogues years ago
A Google shows a few being sold, various auction sites, forums etc., but no test curve stated. Does anyone actually know what it is? Any information or suggestions, gratefully excepted.....

chav professor

Reaction score
Bung some 8lb line or 10lb line on a spool and give it a whirl - try it on some carp before the 16th - should give you an idea what its capable off.

Test curves are a guide - but they are just tools. i.e. is it up to the job... at a guess, J Wilson is quite traditional in his angling so its bound to be between 1.5 and 1.75lb test.

Could do the richard walker and put the handle parallel to the ground. Add progressively more mass untill the tip curviture is 90 degrees to the blank handle.

Unless you plan to sell it and wish to state the t.c. it is a barbel rod and will land barbel - and probably not a bad one at that. In my experience the older masterline stuff is often better than the more recent rod blanks.

michaels

Reaction score
Totally agree proff, I`ve never really paid much attention to the test curve of a rod. It’s just that I know all my rods and most of their test curves, whether or not, they be cane or the not so modern glass or carbon. (A tad obsessive in reality I suppose!) I know it’s only a guide. I`ve had bigger fish, carp, up to around the 30Ib mark and barbel at 11½Ib on my Avons,at1¼Ib, than any other test curve, by a mile, in my collection.
Yes it’s been subduing a few carp already, 10-18Ib, and with that lovely through action, they didn’t stand a chance, it was perfect. So I`m assuming it’s around the 1¾Ib mark, by the feel and action, and as you rightly state JW`s previous incarnations. So I`ve no worries when the 16th comes around. Funnily enough I know that John Wilsons best barbel, came on the JW Heritage Carp, at 1¾Ib test curve and that was around 16Ib, so the range can’t be that bad!
It’s just that I had not heard of this particular Heritage model before, and was therefore intrigued, even more when the chaps at Masterline didn’t know!