Emailing tackle shops.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm currently in a position where I can't ring a tackle shop with an enquiry. Because of that I've tried to use email. I've sent emails to several tackle shops over the last couple of months. Out of all I've sent I've had responses back from just two, tackle2U.com and Nathans of Derby. Unfortunately neither had what I was looking for but at least they bothered and it was appreciated. Is there any real point in the vast majority of tackle shops having email contacts or website contact pages? Many seem to lack the inclination to actually use them. I also have my doubts as to the point of many shops websites, they seem to list reams of gear that they don't actually stock. Even worse when they don't keep them up to date and list loads of obsolete items that they couldn't even order in.

Are many tackle shops still living in the past and not really embracing modern technology? Or are they simply ignoring questions that will probably not lead to a sale as they don't have/can't get the item being enquired about?:confused:

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Tackle shops are suffering from the economical downturn same as any businesses. They simply don't have the staff to cover everything.
Web sites for any businesses have stuff they can't supply in their catalogues/websites, mainly as padding.
If you can't phone them for some reason get a friend to phone them.
At least they pick the phone up eventually and you can find out immediately if they stock the item you require.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I have to say that my experience has been almost the exact opposite. Most have replied promptly to my mails...only one or two didn't respond and therefore didn't get my business. The larger concerns are pretty good in my experience but when it comes to the smaller shop with a website then Simon is probably right but it does niggle me when they advertise something on the site that's not in stock.

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
I would rather talk on the phone than send e/mails. Many shops dont update the sites when some gear has sold out, is also a problem.

I have found that shops dont get back to you for small items, where they are not going to make much money, but when it comes to making a good few quid on items they are onto you with no problems

dezza

Reaction score
It's a great shame but many tackle shops simply cannot afford to have suitably trained sales staff who know our sport backwards and can close sales as well.

The other problem is of course the shops run by Luddites who refuse to get organised with modern ways of selling.

I get fed up when I phone to enquire about an item on the shops website, but the guy tells me they don't keep that in stock. Why advertise a product that is not kept in stock?

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
It's a great shame but many tackle shops simply cannot afford to have suitably trained sales staff who know our sport backwards and can close sales as well.

The other problem is of course the shops run by Luddites who refuse to get organised with modern ways of selling.

I get fed up when I phone to enquire about an item on the shops website, but the guy tells me they don't keep that in stock. Why advertise a product that is not kept in stock?

Ron,

One problem the tackle trade has now, Shipping. Many shops advertise products on their website, then the products dont turn up. If a container is held at the docks, it can take weeks before it is allowed to leave the docks, and the shops have to put the product on the site to let anglers know they are selling it.

So much of our tackle is now made overseas, and that goes for top of the range, right down to the cheap tat, and shipping being held up doesnt help anyone.

Your right regarding some staff not knowing about the products, and how to close a sale, that is also part of the reason some shops have closed for good.