Fishing 2 float rods....

E

EC

Something I used to do loads as a kid was fish 2 float rods on the local ponds.

I never do it any more preferring to fish my second rod on a bite alarm, I might give it a try again soon, or am I being daft trying to watch 2 floats at once?

L

Les Clark

Watching (or trying to) two float rods at the same time will lead to missed bites or crossed eyes and kit being thrown into into water .

C

Chris Bishop

I do it all the time, just make sure both floats are in my line of sight though I do tend to use quite big ones.

E

Evan

I don't know who said it first, certainly not me, probably one of them apocraphyl sayings, but one I find pretty accurate:

"the man fishing with one rod is fishing; the man with two rods is fishing with neither...."

tho I think it is aimed at trying to use two float rods at the same time. You simply can't concentrate properly on both in my experience.

Me, I often use two rods but generally one on the float and the other on the ledger. Best of both worlds that way, and if one method produces more than the other then you can switch.

B

Budgie Burgess

Only time I fish more than one float at a time is when boat fishing.Only as this is often the only sensible form of bite detection.Even then its still two maximum.

Mainly for pike or cats but I do occaisional target other species such as bream,tench from a boat.

E

EC

Just a thought really.

A few waters I fish for tench, bream and perch are not exactly a bite a chuck on biggish baits, so I could probably get away with it.

But I will probably stay with what I usually do, ie 1 on the float and 1 on leger when I decide to fish 2rods!

C

Chris Bishop

Can't see prob fishing two float rods off the boat or the bank, they're both big and in line of sight so as soon as I get a take I can usually nail it.

W

Wolfman Woody

Pete Stone used to say, when he's mastered fishing with one rod then he'll try two.

He a was a fibber, y'know. He'd often use two, maybe not on the float though.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
Theres always the possibility no matter how hard the water,That you might get a bite on both rods when they start to feed.So if you see both floats getting some interest which one you going to hit??
Certainly not all the time , but quite often a feeder will help hook the fish when on bottom so you might get the one on float as well as the one on bottom. But 2 floats not a lot of chance if any of getting them both probably miss them both because of the stress and confusion you've just caused yourself. Take it easy relax ,slouch in ya chair and concentrate on one float enjoy it,thats what it's all about ,chilling out .Don't come home all stressed out and your eyes spinning in your head becuse you've been flicking them back and forth all day.
You cannot concentrate on 2 floats at once unless they are touching each other. Because the Human eyes are not designed to focus on more then one thing at once, You can see 2 but one is always in your peripheral vision.Chill and enjoy.

Peter Bishop

Reaction score
Its a risk Eddie. You know what they say about Buses and Taxis. You wait ages for one and then..... If you get a good fish on both at the same time you might say goodbye to that Drennan Tench rod I sold you!

E

EC

"you might say goodbye to that Drennan Tench rod I sold you!"

I dont need 2 rods for that to happen Pete!