Quick question regarding feeder fishing

MoscowFlyer

Reaction score
Probably a daft question, but when feeder fishing (or even float fishing for that matter), is it advisable to always use a hook length or can it be just as effective tying the line straight to the hook?

E

EC

I rarely fish straight through, if for no other reason that in the event of hooking a snag all you will lose is your hooklength!

You can be sure if you fish straight through, and you get a snag the line will break above the float or feeder!

Joskin

Reaction score
Also if you hook a fish and get broken off the hook length will usually break and not the main line and you wont leave a fish trailing tackle and getting snagged.

MoscowFlyer

Reaction score
Thanks, I guess that's the way to go then. Which leads me to ask, do you tie the hooklength direct to the main line or use a swivel? And if direct to line, are there any links I can use to find out the best way to tie it on?

L

Les Clark

Just had a look at your link Eddie ,just one important point missing ,wet all knots before pulling tight .

E

EC

John use [ and ] instead of those puffy arrows!

Theres a help page somewhere mate!

MoscowFlyer

Reaction score
Thanks for the links guys, I'll have to get practising on those before I use them.

I take it there's nothing wrong as such with just using the main line to hook though for the time being?

E

EC

I would defoo start using a hooklength mate, not just for the sake of the fish if you snap off, but for the tackle you'll save!

What sort/s of fish are you aiming at, species, weight of fish etc?

MoscowFlyer

Reaction score
I'm just going down the Thames tomorrow so not really looking at anything special, just a few bream with any luck.

E

EC

Even if you just use a hooklength 1lb lighter than your mainline mate, it'll make all the difference!

Another thing to consider, say for example when using say 3 or 4lb line for float/feeder fishing, on some venues you might not get too many bites, and you might have to go lighter!

But if you use say 2Lb line for chucking a feeder out you'll struggle with the line getting damaged and crack offs on the cast etc etc.

Use the bottom knot, the water knot on that page, it takes 20 seconds to tie and will get you loads more bites and save you loads of kit, honest!

C

Chris Bishop

Nice one Eddie, I couldn't make it work, there again I'm no computer whizz......

J

John Adair

Aha, I get it, I think. Weird, I used the Link Generator (ah, that's more like it) site which used to work OK for FM.

Oh, and MoscowFlyer, sorry for completely derailing your thread!

MoscowFlyer

Reaction score
No worries, thanks everyone.

Went with the hooklength tied to a swivel to make life easier, drew a blank but it was good to get back out there for the first time in ten years or so. Plus it reminded me exactly how much I used to hate fishing the Thames on a busy Sunday with hundreds of boats dredging up all the weeds and every man and his wife feeding the swans!