today i caught...

C

Christian Tyroll

My first ever barbel!!!!!!

After a whole season of trying i finally caught one and its made it all worth while.
The size, not that it matters was 12 hole ozs.

beastofamedwaybarbeltastic

Perfect little fish and i couldnt stop smiling for the next hour.

Sorry to pester the forum but was really,m really pleased i caught the little fellow.

All the best,

Christian

E

EC

Don't apologise mate,

thefirstoneisalwaysthebestanditdontmatterwhatitweighseithertastic

C

Christian Tyroll

On the river medway, i reckon if i want to catch more im going to have to find out were i can fish on the rest of the river (apart from the weir) and do some locating.

Also i had a few runs on some boilies, but when i struck it was just thin air, could this be chub mouthing the baits?

if that makes any sense to you?

N

Neil Smart

By runs what do you mean Christian. Were you using a buzzer set up or quiver tipping? The latter indication that the chub are 'mouthing ' the bait is tiny trembles on the 'tip'. However could just be the dreaded signal cray fish, do have the little boogers in the Medway?

C

Christian Tyroll

Neil, i had one rod on a buzzer and one on a quiver i caught the barbel on the quiver but kept getting runs on the buzzer.
As far as i know theres no crayfish in there.

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
Well done with your first barbel Christian, but I think i might just claim the smallest barbel catch in the world...

Yesterday I had three barbel - between them they added up to a pound!!! They were 6oz, 6oz and 4oz. This remarkable feat was achieved with a Shakespeare match rod, 5lb line and an artificial caster. I also had a chunky chub of 4.5lb but that doesn't count.

Anyway, can anyone beat this as the smallest three fish barbel haul ever? (PS: No - they weren't gudgeon!!!)

gilesy

Reaction score
strange as this may sound ! but i would love to catch a small one cos they look great and often wondered how the small ones fight

Y

yoggy

Congrats mate,its nice to catch your first ever Barbel,no matter what the size.My first ever weighed 1lb.6oz.I was chuffed to bits.Size isn`t everything in fishing [although some may disagree!!!].

Reaction score
Well done Christian,

Totallyagreewitheddieyourfirstbarbelisalwaysspecialwhateverthedimensionstastic!

Fancy a trip to the Severn Chris (Bish)? They fight like summer pike! ;-)

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Get in there Christian!
Things can only get bigger and better from now on ;-)

It makes complete sense to me mate, they were doing it to me all bleedin night.
The false runs you were getting could be bream, they are buggers, but probably big buggers! Try upping the bait size, so they can't get it in their greedy mouths.
Or, try reducing bait size, two 10m/m or 4 6m/m elips glued to a hair. You will still stand chance with the barbs, or you may connect with the "thin air" strikes?

Good luck.

C

Christian Tyroll

You could be right Steve, although ive never caught a bream there they could be there! Like you say would have to be a pretty big bream, the boilies are those richworth dumbell shaped things. I reckon it would have to be 2 or 3lbs to get the thing in its mouth. Thanks for the advice.

Although i think it may be the Chub theres lots of them in there and ive been reading they have a habit of swimming with the bait in their lips.

Any other ideas of how i can hook the fish, at the moment ivve got smaller baits and/or mount the bait really tight to the hair.

Cheers,

Christian

C

Christian Tyroll

I just made up a rig with a little bit of shrink tubing on the shank of the hook.
I figured this way i could get a much better presentation as no matter how perfect i made the length of the hair, there would always be the amount on the shank giving the bait alot of wobble.
Question is how tight do i pull the bait to the hook? Should i leave a mil or 2 so it still has some freedom or have it right up tight to it only moves with the hook?
Cheers in advance,
Christian

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
In 40+ plus years fishing (with a 10 year break in the middle) I've only ever had 7 barbel under a 1lb. All came within 4 days in 1986 from a sidestream of the Hants Avon (the same sidestream produced my pb 11lb+).

Never saw them before or after. Beautiful fish and a real stand out memory for me. I'm now looking for the photos I took way back then, if I can track them down, I'll scan and post them to the gallery.

Jonathan Whitham

Reaction score
I'm going again tonight but this time I'll be fishing 14mm pellets to try and lure mom and dad. I'll make another trip with maggots or casters, though, and try to get some piccies. They were very cute (in fish terms at least) and fought like dace!

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

I was given some sage advice last night whilst fishing with Jeff Woodhouse(the advice wasn't from Jeff of course!) which said that if you go barbel fishing and you catch a barbel then you have succeeded whether 12oz or 12 lbs.Simple but very true.Well done Christian on your success!

C

Christian Tyroll

Cheers Steve, anythings worth ago as this has happened every time ive been out this season.
I really want to get out and try and catch another one. This weekend im going after some perch with my dad, but the Weekend after ive got 4 days on the Thames. Its meant to be a boating type camping trip but i always manage to turn it into non stop fishing. Hopefully il catch one then but im not going to get my hopes up.

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Christian,

I am certainly no expert, but having read up on Thames barbelling recently the consensus seems to be to aim for the stretches immediately downstream of the weirs where the fish may still be given the low levels at the moment.

These are where the gravel runs tend to be.