river barbel near Leek, Staffs

Parky

Reaction score
Hi folks,

most of fishing since i started angling has been on commercials, having gained confidence there i fancy trying out some river fishing. could any reccommend any barbel runs near Leek in North Staffordshire? im relativly close to stoke-on-trent but dont know where to look really.

also could you suggest what breaking strain gear i would need for this kind of thing, i normally use 10lb krystonite for my commercial carping. Will this do the trick ? As for bait i was thinking, luncheon meat, corn or hair rigged halibut pellet ? sound okay ?

Thanks very much guys.

Parky

N

Neil Blood

The River Dove may be you nearest Barbel venue; however there are no day tickets.

Most controlling clubs are expensive to join initially i.e. Dove Valley or Burton Mutual (both have websites). One exception however is B.I.W.A.S, which I believe is under ?30. Their website is:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/B.I.W.A.S.

Regarding tackle, I use 1.75lb TC rods. I have used krystonite, but in 12lb BS.

Also checkout the Barbel Society website, which contains a useful code of fish handling. This is very important given, the current low river levels and hot weather.

Another useful resource is BFW. WWW.barbel.co.uk. Some good message boards including river reports, where you may gain info on other rivers near to you i.e. the Trent. There's also lots of info regarding Barbel fishing basics located here.

Bait wise pellets are very popular.

Hope this helps, and hope you get the river bug, as it beats those carp puddles any day!!!

Neil

Martin Allen

Reaction score
Hi Parky,

Neils spot on with his advice, I am a member
of Dove Valley and its an awsome club with some great people involved.
The Dove is a great river but it doesnt give its fish up easily, there are many very big double figure fish, but they are hard to find and even the experts will tell you that time served just observing and feeding without wetting a line is often a must for best results.
My advice would be to try the Trent and if you get the bug then get yourself on the waiting list for Dove Valley.

Tight lines and best of Luck

Martin

D

David Marrs

I've enjoyed my first ever few sessions after Trent Barbel this season and I have to say it is absolutely fantastic fun. They fight like fury! I've had 20 odd now and have enjoyed every single one!!!

Rob Swindells

Reaction score
Parky...........I'm a BIWAS member, and it's a great stretch, well worth the money mate! Nice post Neil ;-)