2 hooks

Lord Paul

Reaction score
With sea fishing and fly fishing often 2 or more hooks are used , give this a go next time you coarse fish and you'll be surprised at the number of extra bites you get.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

It isn't something I've ever fancied doing Paul. Even though my club allows it.
I have known matches to be won with this method on one particular Dam (Carr Mill) where everything else failed.

I'm happy enough catching one or two fish an hour depending on species of course. Anymore and I would consider it hard work rather than pleasure.

Joskin

Reaction score
Not to clever if you hook two fish at once either. At least with sea fish and Game fish they are usually taken for the table so mouth damage is not a problem. I have seen some seriously nasty looking mouth damage at alot of commercials but imagine the damage causedx if two 4lb+ Carp were playing tug o war.

Joskin

Reaction score
Oh b*ll*cks Ive just realised I have just been one of your extra bites

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

The only time I ever use more than one hook is when I am fly fishing for trout. And I only use more than one hook in open weedfree water.

I know that using two hooks is common amongst still water roach fishers who use the feeder bolt rig set up.

But I don't like it.

N

nick hodgkinson

there's a rather nasty two hook carp rig being used in some circles - sadly its legal unless particular waters say single hook only

and i'm not going to describe it!!

W

Wag

It used to be a common method in the late sixties and early seventies when I was starting out, particularly as Ron says for roach. My older brother had several big nets of roach with a double hook paternoster setup. From what I remember though, double hookups were unusual.

Although it's something I often think of trying, I must admit I've not used a double hook method in the last 20 years. Might have to give it another go......

S

stephen cotton

I've used it when targeting Tench and Bream in the past on slow waters. It enables you to experiment with different hook baits and hook lengths etc and does increase the number of fish hooked. By placing the hooks a good distance apart you will avoid any problems with foul hooking. But its madness to use such rigs in weedy and snaggy waters and when fishing for carp. - for obvious reasons I think.

B

Why is it okay to use it for Tench and Bream but not for Carp?

And why is it okay to use the rig for trout?
the excuse of they usually get knocked on the head anyway is a bit of a lame one.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Well Baz,

In all the years I have used multi-fly leaders for trout, I can hardly remember getting hooked up, even when the fish is taken on the top dropper.

I have of course on occasions hooked two trout at once, and released both of them quite safely too.

I would never use a multi-fly leader where the trout run very big or where there are snags. Even soo, trout, compared with coarse fish do tend to fight in the open and not run for snags.

In SA there are some truly barbaric two hook rigs used for carp. Many of them are designed to hook the carp in the mouth, and in the head at the same time. But to be fair, carp caught like this are going to be clonked anyway.

N

nick hodgkinson

and never use a dropper when fly fishing for salmon!

read the account by the late John Ashley Cooper - heartbreaking!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
As Ron says it was, and still is, an acceptable method when targetting roach but you must remember that it normally only employs small hooklengths of about two or three inches so the idea that they might get tangled is a non starter. Also, this method is used where the numbers of fish are quite small so the chances of hooking two are very slim.

I can't see anything wrong with it although I havn't used it personally, but there again I havn't been lucky enough to have access to waters with large roach in apart from one where these tactics weren't necessary.

D

david bruce 1

My uncle helped teach me how to fish (Carr Mill and canals). He always used two hooks. Only about 4 inches apart the upper one on a 3 inch trace attached about 7 inches above the bottom hook. The theory was one on the bottom and one just off. Then if it is a silty bottom at least one bait is visible.
Cannot say it is something I have done in fresh water for many many years

R

Rod MacAskill

I have used 2 hook rigs for still water roach and bream fishing in the past but stopped this as the loose hook sometimes got caught in the net when landing a fish. This proved to be a real pain when fishing in the dark.

Chevin

Reaction score
I often used a pennel(sp?)tackle when using a whole large lob worm as bait. The hooks were spaced apart so that one hook could go through the head of the worm and the other through the tail. I never once had any problem with the second hook and certainly never a double hook up.

S

stephen cotton

In reply to Baz.

I wouldn't use it for carp due to the likelihood of a prolonged fight and the likely probablity of the second hook snagging during this fight. With tench and bream the fight is nowhere near as long as so this is not likely. Also as I stated I have only used this rig in snag free waters, eg large open silty meres, where snagging is very unlikely and the usual way fish are lost is via hook pulls. Rod has highlighted the rigs main drawback in that the second hook can snag the net when landing fish leading to potential losses.

The way I set the rig up was to use a paternostered feeder/bomb with one hook on a long trace below the feeder/bomb and a short dropper hooklength a suitable distance above the feeder/bomb. Some days fish come to the top hook, some days the bottom. If float stops are used in the construction the rig will be as safe as any in the event of a casting snap off.

Anyone who wants to know more about the use of these rigs for bream can look at the how to catch bream book from beeky series of books (from memory). I think Roger Harker and friends pioneered their use on the shropshire and cheshire meres in the 70s.

B

I would have thought a a good sized Tench or Bream would be more than capable of hooking its self up on the second hook.
I don't use them myself. Just a thought.

They can fight just as hard as Carp can when you are on lighter tackle.