Weight Estimate

IanH

Reaction score
Hi,

I went fishing on the River Teme on Sunday and caught a few Barbel around 24 inches long.

Curiosity is making me wonder how heavy they were. Anyone have any idea?

All caught on maggots float fished with a centrepin. Wasn't really expecting to catch Barbel but it's a great way to catch them.

Ian

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

About 3 lb ish?
Catching barbel of that size on a centrepin would excite me more than catching a double on the ledger.

IanH

Reaction score
I agree it is a great way to catch them.

It's my first day's coarse fishing for 20 years and the first time I've ever fished a centrepin.

Still learning how to cast a centrepin so I chose the swims carefully - fast riffles into deeper glides where I could just cast out a rod's length or so and get a good trot down.

Great to just wander down the river with a light bag, net and rod. One of the most enjoyable day's fishing I've ever had.

I caught a lot of Chub, a few Dace and Grayling but I didn't expect to catch Barbel trotting a float. Hooking the first one was a hell of a surprise. I never realised that they were that strong.

My arm started aching after the third or fourth. It got to the point where I was actually hoping that the next one was a Chub or Dace or at least a small one to give me a rest.

If these were 3lb then I can't imagine what a 9 pounder would be like.

I think I'll be out again soon.

Ian

P

Phil Heaton

Ian,
It seems obvious to me that you enjoyed yourself too much, can you please refrain from this and sit behind a couple of feeder rods in fishy looking swims.
How about taking this experience a step further and try trundling a bigger bait such as worm or luncheon meat....

P

Phil Heaton

Also the best estimate can be made with a reputable set of scales, its all too easy to be over generous with a guess.
I always photograph my better or unusual fish and its amazing how looking at the photo's later without adrenalin reduces their size.

IanH

Reaction score
Thanks for that Phil :)

I'd always associated Barbel with swim feeders and I've never fancied sitting behind a swim feeder. Prefer to walk up and down the river rather than sit in one place.

I had some luncheon meat in the car but I was catching so well on the maggots that I didn't try it. Next time I will.

Do the fish need to be fed luncheon meat regularly to get them used to it or will they take it from scratch do you think?

I don't have a set of scales. I mostly fish for Trout and I'm more used to just measuring the fish against the landing net. Some of them were deeper / wider than others though so I can see that an accurate estimate based on length might be tricky.

Next trip I'll plan to be on the water by first light.

Oh and I'll lift some weights to build my arm strength :)

Ian

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Nice one Ian.A great day on a great river.Its what its all about!!Enjoyment over weight anyday!!