bran in groundbait.

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
a bailiff i was chatting away to on sunday afternoon (nice helpfull chap he was)reccomended the use of good quality bran for bream fishing on a stretch of the nene his club controls.
apparently bran is the secret weapon/ingredient when it comes to bream groundbait on this stretch.
can anyone give me some hints and tips about the use of bran???

Disco stu

Reaction score
Never used it Nick, Ive got several Norhamptonshire club books for various parts of the Nene, what club is it?

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
Early twentieth-writers were always banging on about "Bread and Bran" groundbaits, but seldom gave precise recipes.I seem to remember a peck of bran to two loaves being mentioned - a peck is two gallons.

As a starting point, think of it as "bran and bread" - make up a loaf's-worth of mashed bread, and whisk it into half a gallon or so of DAMP bran, a bit at a time, till it holds together enough to throw. If you've a clear stream near you, try it out there till you've sussed what mixture falls apart on impact, and what sets like vitalin.

Keep a bit of dry bran by in case your mixtures are a bit loose, but watch out, dry bran seems to be almost as good a binder as damp bran is a breaker-up. It probably won't apply in bream swims, but gravel can be added to nail it to the deck in a flow.

Have fun!

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

make sure your bran is well soaked othherwise is floats

Bran is the outer layers of the grain of cereals such as wheat, removed during the process of milling --It is actually the husks ....

Alan Tyler

Reaction score
It's still about 10% protein, though (I think - but it's a long time since I read the analysis on a packet of all-bran). And fish just seem to like it.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Kellogs All-bran has additives --
just plain bran on its own is very light and is just fibre .....

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Who? Walker, Taylor and Mr. Crabtree

What? Bran and Bread crumb

Where? Hampshire Avon, various rivers & lakes

When? Well, mainly in the 60's and 70's I would imagine.

;-)

;-)

Tom (Bream Machine)

Reaction score
We always used bran in the late 70's and early 80's for several reasons. The current well prepared recipies used in groundbait wernt around much then, damp bran produced a good caster, kept maggots cool, (before Maizemeal and Maizeflour was available) let those anglers who liked to breed home grown maggots do so ...specifically "sour bran" maggots, for Bream. Bran also assists the quick breakdown of crumb when balling it in deep waters. It is an excellent bulk which isnt overfilling ....and most of all....mega cheap!

G

Grant Lever

the original idea of using bran was to act as a laxative,thereby making the fish,eventually,very hungry....i think this was just a load of crap ,but still it is a very good additive......

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Tom mentions a 'blast from the past' of sour bran maggots - remember Gozzers Tom?

Absolutely the best Bream hook bait. I used to get some delivered specialy for some of the big Scandinavian matches where Bream would be the dominate and target species as recently as the mid 90's.