Guardian newspaper endorses cause of animal rights

davestocker

Reaction score
I?ve had a rant before on the FM forum about how people with an agenda have hijacked the word ?ethical? to suit their own political ends. Well,
in its second section today (G2), the Guardian newspaper has an ethical living section where readers are asked to nominate individuals living ?good lives? who are ?the people making a difference.? Today the bleeding heart liberals behind this section have chosen some woman called Kate Fowler who is, yes, you?ve guessed it an ?animal rights campaigner?. She?s profiled at http://www.guardian.co.uk/g2/story/0,,1822850,00.html

Some weeks ago I nominated the brave Laurie Pycroft, the 16yr old Oxford youth who inspired the medical researchers to stand up to animal rights terror, but for some reason he?s never been featured and now I have a good idea why. If developing life-saving medicines and fighting bullying and intimidation aren?t moral/ethical, I don?t know what is! If you?ve any desire to nominate anyone or to suggest that the Guardian?s sympathies are misplaced in this respect, they can be contacted at ethical.living@guardian.co.uk.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

As a newspaper the Gruniad is only fit to wipe your a**e on and their readership comprises of those within the "ethical" spectrum. It's such a crap paper that normal people don't buy it or read it so don't worry because it's only continuing down the path it's been on for years.
It's always been more or less a mouthpiece for PETA and other extremist groups and it's influence has been negligible because it has about the lowest circulation of any newspaper.

davestocker

Reaction score
But Frank, I buy and read the Guardian. And I think I'm normal. But as a Guardian reader I shall appease, and turn the other cheek, instead of replying to your post with a stream of righteous invective!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I think Frank has got a good point.
Any form of media wether it be radio,tv, or newspaper should have a public duty to print/speak/show both sides of a debate. And not just the side that the editor has flavour of the month with.

You can spout your righteous invective diarrhea if you like. It wont make you a better person. Unless of course the Guardian newspaper tells you that it does.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

I don't read The Guardian - too left wing!!

T

Terry D

I don't read the Gruniard as the print is too small and they keep using long words or phrases that I don't understand.

J

john ledger

Dave
I just dont read the paper and like Frank think its fit for one thing only.I am glad you do though otherwise i would not get to hear any of the good points you bring up and compliment you for doing so.
Right i must nip off to the toilet quickly as i have been taken short, sod it no toilet roll where the bloody hell is the Guardian

J

john ledger

Like wise Terry
I have only just mastered the mobile phone

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Terry, the long words and phrases are actually spelling mistakes. That's why it's always known as The Gruniad.

F

Fred Bonney

Well,I read it, and it's a very balanced newspaper as opposed to some of the others,like the mail.
For every story like the above, there is another side told at sometime and, I've put those stories on this site.
Ron,your wrong,if it was, I certainly wouldn't read it.Read it and see.
As for John well,there's no helping him, I'm afraid.

davestocker

Reaction score
It would appear that our 'campaigner' may have been involved in more than just campaigning. Someone with a similar name is mentioned in the last paragraph of this news story;

Mob 'besieged huntsmen in revenge attack'
Valerie Elliott, Countryside Editor, The Times 15-1-2002

A MOB of 50 anti-hunt protesters attacked the cottage of a huntsman in revenge for an injury to a hunt saboteur, a court was told yesterday.
A jury at Guildford Crown Court heard how the group of masked protesters threw bricks and smashed almost every window in the cottage belonging to George Whittaker, a huntsman with the Old Surrey, Burstow and Kent hunt. But the anti-hunt activists said the huntsman and a friend provoked the violence by waving pickaxe handles and jeering.

The court heard that Mr Whittaker was at his house in East Grinstead, West Sussex, with his fianc?e, Jeremy Wright, a huntsman, and Sally Drewitt, a groom, near the hunt stables on September 2, 2000, the day after Mr Whittaker knocked down a saboteur with his Land Rover.

Miss Drewitt, 20, denied yesterday that the two huntsmen had started the violence. She said that one protester shouted: ??Come on then ? do you think this is funny.? I took this to mean they wanted to start a fight. Believe me, none of us were smiling or laughing.?

Miss Drewitt and Mr Whittaker?s fianc?e were barricaded in the cottage while the two huntsmen defended the front door armed with pickaxe handles. Soon after the protester?s alleged comment, the window to the living room was smashed and the two women fled to the back door ?to get out of the way?.

The scenes were secretly filmed by a police officer who had followed the mob to Mr Whittaker?s house. PC Paul Stevenson called for police support after hearing the sound of breaking glass, and then approached what he described as the ?frenzied mob?. He saw a saboteur throw a pot through a window and tried to arrest him, but the police officer was ?grabbed, kicked and punched? by other protesters.

Earlier the court heard that Mr Wright had had ignored police advice to leave the premises before the protesters arrived. In evidence Mr Wright said: ?I was told that if I hung around with a stick it would cause more tension. I didn?t do as the police said because I didn?t think it was good advice. I was very frightened but prepared to protect myself.?

Shaun Reeves, 27, of Tenterden, Kent; Joan Blanch, 49, of East Peckham, Kent; Michael Seal, 41, of Southborough, Tunbridge Wells, Kent; Jason Nevill, 32, of Sutton, Surrey; Keith Bailey, 44, of Coleman?s Hatch, Sussex; Randolph McFarlane, 33, of Brighton, East Sussex, and Kate Fowler, 29, of Brighton, all deny conspiracy to commit violent disorder.

The case continues....