BAILIFFS - What Use Are They?

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Lob in grenade and see what happens!!

I was sure a certain regular would have been the first to respond.........but i guess he must be losing it..... or perhaps it's past his bedtime!

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Yep he's gone to bed, right then!

Where do they get off? Little hitlers!
Give em a badge and they rule the world!

DO AS I SAY, NOT AS I DO!

Double standards or what?

Day tickets, "Cheers mate! That will go straight in my back pocket, hey we are volunteers! Unpaid hero's!"

Yeah right!

"What's catching guv?"
"Secret boilies, but they're banned.... want some.....?"
"OK, nudge,nudge"

Chevin

Reaction score
While I am sure that Steve is indulging in a bit of leg pulling, I know that there are many who do believe that to be true about bailiffs. I guess that in some cases there could be some truth in such views but having been a baliff on a number of waters myself, and having friends that have held similar positions, I know that in most cases it is far from the truth.

In every case I have encountered the day tickets are numbered and the monies for the number of tickets sold must be paid to the club at certain intervals. I must say that while neither secret or banned baits were a problem in my days as a bailiff, I found most club members and day ticket holders to be quite reasonable when it came to observing fishery rules. In fact I found that the position made it possible for me to meet and become friends with more anglers than I would have otherwise done so. I think that most club members and day ticket holders saw me and the other bailiffs as club officials intent on ensuring that neither the club or its paying members were cheated by poachers either fishing without paying or even stealing their fish.

P

pons

Well Neil ,
You started the thread ,at least allow us the benefit of your thoughts of wisdom.

You must have an opinion.

Are you one ?

And yes I am one.

And paid for it.

Pons.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
The best bailiffs are those that enforce the rules in a proper manner, and know when to use a little discretion and relax them.

For instance, only a couple of weeks ago the head bailiff asked me for my membership card (which I had with me) but the receipt for this season had fallen out of the little plastic wallet and I couldn't find it in my rucksack. But I did have this season's newsletter and map book with me.

The bailiff would have been within his rights to ask me to leave, but instead he just took my name and membership number (obviously to check later to see if I had paid this year's subs).

Two hours later the same scenario was acted out with another bailiff who also came to same decision.

That's what I call an example of good bailiffing.

And I found the receipt when I got home and tipped everything out of my rucksack onto the garage floor.

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
I have no doubt Baz would have sent me packing regardless of knowing me. We've had the debate before.

Incidentally, both bailiffs didn't know me, and had never checked my card before.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

I would have had no option but to ask him to leave. Politely as usual of course.

There is no need for brutish actions. Once you let somebody off you are only opening the floodgates for others. Sorry no card no fishing. It isn't too much to ask is it?

Off to work now. please don't drag this thread down to your usual standards. Simply stick to the rules. Cards must be carried at all times. It would make my job easier, and I would be a better person for it.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
There are some sensible ones as you have discovered Graham but unfortunately its the little hitlers that give the rest of them a bad name.

I was fishing the Teme last week and was asked for my BAA card by the bailiff who stayed for a little natter (but unfortunately for us couldn't tell us where the fish were) a very pleasant chap he was too. For some reason the BAA bailiff the Teme more than any other river or stretch and its the only place I have been asked for a card but they have never been anything less than pleasant.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I was pulling Baz's leg, I owe him one!

But seriously, I fished a venue last year, a two nighter. The bailiff came round each day, on both occasions I gave him ?10 for the night.

He didn't give me a ticket......

S

sash

"Off to work now. please don't drag this thread down to your usual standards"

LOL

B

Graham W.
There are times to be pleasent and times to be not so pleasent. Bailiffing is a time not to be pleasent. That's how you lot see it anyway.
If you have not got a card, you are not insured that's how simple it is. You don't forget your bait or misplace it do you?

I am sure that if you owned your own fishery that you would sooner have somebody like me looking after things rather than some little tin God who turns a blind eye to non licenced anglers. Therefore depriveing you of your living.

B

Iv'e changed my mind about working today in these temperatures.
No matter what D.B. says he openly said elsewhere to report the old bailiff as he wasn't up to the job anymore.

Chevin.
We all know people like Neil Mediment. They stir things up on our waters and then vanish into the undergrowth.

I stick to the rules why can't everybody else?

Chevin

Reaction score
I quite agree that rules should be observed though in the days I was bailiff I guess we were able to be more laid back that many are today. So much has changed, I never once met any aggression when I approached anglers and asked for their books or tickets even when some of those concerned subsequently proved to have had no right to have been at the water. It appears that many bailiffs these days frequently experience aggression that sometimes erupts into violence. I guess that any bailiff is going to bear that in mind and often act accordingly.

The only problem I ever had was when I became a fishery manager and I was accused of that which some bailiffs have been accused. I spoke to the guy concerned and was 'allowed to see' a modified .22 rifle. I immediately backed off and informed the police. I don't know what transpired from there, though when the police asked me if the guy was likely to use the gun I told them to be careful. The last I heard of the guy in question was that he had committed suicide on the bank of a river or lake when out fishing. I was concerned by his demeanour when I saw the rifle, but having heard the news about his suicide I wonder if I was in more danger than I realised.

B

A sad and worrying story Chevin.
Us bailiffs not only protect the waters we also act as advisors.
I personally go out of my way to help people when I am policing the waters. If I think they are fishing in the wrong spot I tell them so. If I think they are useing the wrong method I tell them so. If I think they are useing the wrong bait I tell them so.
There are lots of people who don't understand the amount of good that I do.
It's a thankless job but I really enjoy my work.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Wait while you see Baz in his Obersturmbannfuhrer Waffen SS uniform mit jackboots und totenkopf.

"PAPERS JA, I VANT TO SEE YOUR PAPERS SCHWEINHUNDT!!!"

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"I personally go out of my way to help people when I am policing the waters. If I think they are fishing in the wrong spot I tell them so. If I think they are useing the wrong method I tell them so. If I think they are useing the wrong bait I tell them so.
There are lots of people who don't understand the amount of good that I do."

Especially when you then jump into THAT spot, using THAT method, using THAT bait, and have a netful !!! :eek:]