Lost Barbel

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Say if you lost a barbel at the net, what would happen to the fish?

Would it go belly up due to the fight?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

It depends on how tired the fish was, the temperature of the water and that influences the oxygen content, and the fitness of the fish.

I can't think of many times in my life where I have lost a barbel at the net. If they break free, in my experience, they do it early in the fight.

E

EC

What an excellent question Marcus, I am very surprised that you have had so few answers considering the wealth of experience on this site!

The general consensus is that often in normal conditions but especially during low river conditions and low oxygen levels that the fish often need serious nursing back to strength.

To answer your question if they are lost at the net, then there is no nursing that takes place, I would suggest some might well go the way you describe!

That said, does actually taking them out of the water exacerbate this, if they were indeed landed?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

Eddie/Marcus

Quite a lot on this topic on BFW at the moment where quite a few have decided not to fish in the conditions.

I suspect that as you say Eddie, the stress/exhaustion is exacerbeted by handling on the bank which obviously doesn't occur if the fish breaks free.

I wouldn't go as far as stopping fishing but would ensure that the fish were played to the net as quickly as possible and were then returned equally as quickly.

I had a couple of fish last Sunday which both swam away strongly after only limited recovery time.

Z

Zi-Zu

Eddie C,
I think the answer to that question is that people are just so fed up with the domination on here by certain people whereas "elsewhere" any posts related in any way to them are immediately deleted and serious and meaningful discussion can and does take place.

E

EC

Sorry Chris, you've genuinely lost me a bit there mate, expand a bit if you can please!

E

EC

Sorry Chris, still none the wiser, but no worries!

Still a very good question though Marcus, what do you reckon?

J

john ledger

Nigel is correct when he says the problem occurs on the handling side,another pointer is even though you think a barbel has recovered it may well still be exhausted and turn belly up in the weeds after release.I have seen this happen countless times on the Upper Trent and have waded out to rescue them,spend a few extra minutes with them and make sure they are recovered,same with grayling.

P

paul williams 2

Eddie C......i often get lost when venturing on to the Barbel forum too!

My answer to the original question would be to use gear balanced to ALL the prevailing conditions!

Jon Bedford

Reaction score
No angler lands 100% of his fish, regardless of how well balanced his/her takle is.
I lost a decent barbel recently, 8lb ish after a five minute struggle to get the fish out of snags, i lost this fish in open water when the hook, still in good shape, just came out. I watched this fish swim strongly back upstream to under the trees.

I honestly believe that its bad handling on the bank after a fish is landed that tends to see 'em go belly up, so please if you've caught a barbel before you do anything with it give it time to recover in the net, making sure the fish is upright facing the flow. extra special care needs to be taken just now, in this hot weather.

P

paul williams 2

You sure it was a five minute struggle Jon? have you ever actually timed the period from hook penetration to netting.............what gear was in use for to get the fish out of snags?

R

Spot on Jon.

Always take time with a barbel in the landing net before you release them. Make sure you also use a big landing net, at least 24 inches deep. I use a 30 inch diameter job from Leslies which is certainly the best net for barbel fishing I have ever used.

R

Just lately Brummie I have been in the habit of timing how long it takes to land various species of fish by my watch.

Anything over 5 minutes is a long time. Most double figure barbel or close to it take me about 3 to 5 minutes to land on 12 lb mainline to 10lb hooklength with 10 to 6 hooks.

The longest I have had to play a fish recently was a 4lb rainbow trout hooked on 6lb leader with a size 12 hook. It took me 6 1/2 minutes, and that's a long time make no mistake.

Jon Bedford

Reaction score
paul,
Was on an 8lb bottom, have since changed to ten, didn't time the fight but i spent quite a bit of time from the bank pulling from differen't angles to try and get the fish out of the snag before wading accross, and freeing the line,from overhanging branches(changing the angle of strike, has seen me have less priblems with the same snag), by wich time the fish was in a different set of tree roots, wich after another bit of pulling at different angles i managed to free and then get it into open water, all this must have taken at the very least 4 minutes

P

paul williams 2

Sorry Jon i misread your post.....i thought you meant spent five mins keeepng it out of a snag.......in my humble opinion you were lucky to get it out!

Jon Bedford

Reaction score
I didn't get it out though!
I have been lucky in the past though, i once caught a 15lb carp on the river wharfe on a 2lb 12oz pre tied hooklenght,on the same day caught a near double figure pike after upping the hooklenght to 4lb!

now thats lucky

P

paul williams 2

You got it out of the snag!......thats what i meant you were lucky about!

Surprising the hook pulled in open water tho!?