The Barbel Show.

dezza

Reaction score
I have just returned form the Barbel Show, the Barbel Society's annual national get together at the Hinckley Island Hotel in Leicestershire.

What a great day out.

And what a great bunch of people who not only value the barbel, but all other species too.

I particularly liked Ade Kiddell's presentantion on fishing European waters. Cheese and maggots are still great barbel baits, as they always were. Then we had the Drennan Cup Winner's presentation on how he did it.

But the cherry on the top for me was the appearance of the great Dave Steuart who during the 60s and 70s was one of the great ikons of our sport, along with people like Peter Stone, Fred J Taylor, Peter Thomas, Peter Wheat and many others. I got Dave to sign my copy of his book: "From Minnows to Marlin"

Unfortunately Peter Wheat could not make the show due to illness. I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I will be back next year, all being well.

Fred Bonney

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good to see you again Ron, glad it was worth the trip down.

One of the best atmospheres i've experienced at the Show, a very good and great crowd of attendees and speakers.

Never certain how much we get from the free plugs on here and elsewhere, but it is much appreciated. Thanks Fishing Magic

Last edited:

Steve Pope

Reaction score
Just to add to Fred's words, a big thank you to Fishing Magic for the support we get on here.

Good to meet up with you again on Sunday if only for a fleeting moment Ron, as you say Dave is one of the true legends of the angling world and was great company over the whole weekend.

We'll definitely meet up on Sutton this year!

Glad you enjoyed the Show, it was a great day out as always.

All the best.