Barbel Fishing On The River Dee

lennythegreen

Reaction score
hi guys, im new to the forum and im also not so familliar with barbel fishing, but im sick of every one forcing Carp carp carp down my throat ! so i took up fishing for my favourite species of fish - the barbel. my closest river is the dee and im a member of WAA, i just wanted some tips on baits, rigs and areas etc, even if it is not on the WAA but some dayticket fisheries on the dee, any help at all would be great. thanks

guest61

Reaction score
hi guys, im new to the forum and im also not so familliar with barbel fishing, but im sick of every one forcing Carp carp carp down my throat ! so i took up fishing for my favourite species of fish - the barbel. my closest river is the dee and im a member of WAA, i just wanted some tips on baits, rigs and areas etc, even if it is not on the WAA but some dayticket fisheries on the dee, any help at all would be great. thanks

Area: Look on your WAA map book and locate Almere farm - The pegs immediately down stream of the River Alyn / Dee confluence have good numbers of Barbel. The fish feed well in the mornings and in the evenings. Go prepared there are a lot of snags in the water and the Barbel head straight for them when hooked. Of course, a lot of people know this and these pegs can become busy.

Bait: Either Halibut Pellets or Luncheon Meat. Fish 16mm Halibut pellets on a hair rig or large lumps of Luncheon meat. I had a lot of success with 4 x 8mm 'Hali-hookers' threaded on the hair.

Rig: Feeder or Straight Lead its not wide there so you have the option of putting bait in by hand.

Be careful on the Banks: In places the water is deep close in - I had a lucky escape slipping in, the water came over my chest waders at the waters edge. Moreover go and have a look, try to convince a mate to go with you until you know the lie of the land - still water Carp fishing this is not.

If you want Barbel elsewhere on the Dee then I don't know of any Day ticket stretches. If you fancy a bit of pioneering look on Google earth for stretches of river that have a series of bends before a long straight. I always fancied Caldecott farm upstream of Farndon (on your WAA) ticket but never tried it.

That's a lot of info for your reply, if you are successful take a picture and tell us all about it.

almerefarmoct2010.jpg

There be monsters in the Dee......

Edit: I just read your other post regards tackle - I see no problems.

Regards

Mark

Last edited: