Barbel Tackle ?

lennythegreen

Reaction score
hi guys, im a new one to the forum and fairly new to barbel fishing, but it just seems a lot better than carp fishing, plus thier is not a better looking fish than the barbel. anyway, i just wanted to check i have bought the correct gear so hear it is :
Daiwa Twilight barbel rod 2.25lb test curve,
Daiwa Twilight Barbel rod 1.75lb test curve,
BN Shakespeare mach reel 12lb line and 10lb line,
korum Barbel/specimen spoon...
and then just the Size 8-10 hooks and braid to make rigs.
any comments would be apreciated guys, thanks

Reaction score
hi guys, im a new one to the forum and fairly new to barbel fishing, but it just seems a lot better than carp fishing, plus thier is not a better looking fish than the barbel. anyway, i just wanted to check i have bought the correct gear so hear it is :
Daiwa Twilight barbel rod 2.25lb test curve,
Daiwa Twilight Barbel rod 1.75lb test curve,
BN Shakespeare mach reel 12lb line and 10lb line,
korum Barbel/specimen spoon...
and then just the Size 8-10 hooks and braid to make rigs.
any comments would be apreciated guys, thanks

Daiwa Twilights are superb barbel rods; I've got a pair of the 1.75s.

Everything looks spot on Lenny.

Fluoro is worth looking at for hook links, I use Kryston Incognito in 7-11lb and often use up to 4ft.

Get yourself some size 12/ 14s hooks too (I use Korum S3), works a treat with small 6-8mm pellet when the rivers are low.

What braid are you using?

Good luck for the new season :)

quickcedo

Reaction score
The gear looks fine from here. The tests on the rods are a personal thing and of course what rivers you are fishing. Mine are lower than yours.
I use "sink link" for most of my hook links. My main line is lower than yours but as I say it depends where you are fishing.

lennythegreen

Reaction score
hi guys, thanks for the info, and im using kriston merlin braid at 12lb for my hooklinks and it is working a treat.

richiekelly

Reaction score
hi guys, thanks for the info, and im using kriston merlin braid at 12lb for my hooklinks and it is working a treat.

you say it is "working a treat" are you fishing rivers for them? or is it working on stillwater barbel? this is not a dig if you are on a river now as i belive they should be open all year.

lennythegreen

Reaction score
no they are on rivers, i went the ribble last year and caught a 6lb barbel, im a WAA member. i know thats not a big fish but it felt good. and its my biggest barbel yet

Last edited:

lennythegreen

Reaction score
yeah sorry i didn't realise, ive edited it so it isn't saturday but year, i honestly havn't been fishing in about three months, i must have been talking about a saturday or bla bla, any way, the braid worked fine last year, however i only caught barbel between 2-6lb

Last edited:

lewisbarbel

Reaction score
at the end of the day he is just trying to tell us about the braid isn't he ? give him a break, he's a newcomer

richiekelly

Reaction score
if he wants to fish rivers all year round good luck to him nothing wrong with it other than a very outdated law.

stefnc

Reaction score
Not really good luck to him tho mate, I do hope that You and him , IF fishing out of season get a whopping great fine and all your gear taken!!!
whether its an outdated law or not is irrelavent, its a law and by being an angler, you should adhere to it. enough said...

richiekelly

Reaction score
Not really good luck to him tho mate, I do hope that You and him , IF fishing out of season get a whopping great fine and all your gear taken!!!
whether its an outdated law or not is irrelavent, its a law and by being an angler, you should adhere to it. enough said...

and i suppose you always drive within the speed limit? as for getting my gear taken ha ha that will be the day, you hardly see a baliff during the season nevermind the closed season, just one other thing who said i was fishing rivers during the closed season?

quickcedo

Reaction score
Anyway, back to Barbel gear..........
Just to keep things in perspective, i have landed Carp to a smidge over 30lb on a 1.75 Barbel rod from the canal. I would hate to see the rod trend start going the same way as Carp rods. Genrally we are fishing for a fish of around the 7-10lb mark (of course depending on river etc etc). A 2.25 test Barbel rod is an out and out beast fit for the Trent (maybe) and extreme flood conditions. Not that many years ago a test of 1.25 was concidered perfect for most situations. So why all of a sudden do we need rods that used to be concidered for Pike and Carp? Different action I know, but still.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mark,
I have quite a few rods that I'll happily use for barbel. They range from 1.25lb TC up to 15' 2.75lb TC and every point in between. The rods I choose to use on any given day depend entirely upon the weight and distance I'm going to cast. However, I'd generally prefer to be overgunned then undergunned.

I've no doubt that I could land pretty much anything in front of me with the 1.25s but there's not a cat in hells chance of me launching a 4-6oz feeder 50-80 yards. Folks get far too hung up on TCs.

guest61

Reaction score
Just to keep things in perspective, i have landed Carp to a smidge over 30lb on a 1.75 Barbel rod from the canal. I would hate to see the rod trend start going the same way as Carp rods. Genrally we are fishing for a fish of around the 7-10lb mark (of course depending on river etc etc). A 2.25 test Barbel rod is an out and out beast fit for the Trent (maybe) and extreme flood conditions. Not that many years ago a test of 1.25 was concidered perfect for most situations. So why all of a sudden do we need rods that used to be concidered for Pike and Carp? Different action I know, but still.

An excellent point and one that I've been thinking about since reading the 'Help for Piking Rookie' thread earlier today.

My question is: Is the TC 'required' to play the fish or get the bait out to the fish? (and now I'm thinking about 3,5lb TC Carp rods - sorry thread starter).

Mark

lewisbarbel

Reaction score
i suppose 2.25lb is heavy but they're good rods and many other top anglers often use 2.25lb test curve rods so thier is a reason for them. however i favour the 1.75lb test curve rod, i think it is the perfect barbel action as lets face it, the barbel is the 'bruce lee' of fish when it comes to fighting. - pound for pound a contender for the best fighters but aren't coming in the 30 or 40lb's.
also, you can find barbel rods at 2.75lb test curve, now that is something to worry about !!!

---------- Post added at 09:40 ---------- Previous post was at 09:37 ----------

if he wants to fish rivers all year round good luck to him nothing wrong with it other than a very outdated law.

i agree, do you know that it is still in the law book that every man is to learn how to use a long bow - its just not enforced. so the same applies. reliabillity on baliffs is 'generaly ' rather bad

sam vimes

Reaction score
you can find barbel rods at 2.75lb test curve, now that is something to worry about.

No it isn't, they are a tool for a job. Long chucks across big rivers using 4oz+ feeders or heavy flood conditions in the smaller rivers. In use they don't feel any different to a 1.75lb rod when you are playing a fish. I promise that you don't end up dragging in sub 10lbers without even knowing about it.;):D
If anyone suggests that it is the case I can only conclude that they've never even used such a rod. The 2.75lb Fox barbel rods aren't in any way similar in action to a modern carp rod with the same TC rating.

I'll say it again, people get too hung up on TC ratings. They mean very little anyway, it's the action of the rod that really matters. The only thing that a TC rating is indicative of is the weight that a rod may be capable of casting (and I mean casting, not gently lobbing.;):D).

Last edited:

quickcedo

Reaction score
Sam, it's the trend that concerns me. You may well know when and where to use a specific rod but many don't. I've seen Carp with terrible facial disfigurements due to the wrong rod, in the wrong place, in the wrong hands. Do you want to see Barbel with "parrot" faces? of course not and nor do I. You have to remember not all anglers are experienced and sensible.