Commercials

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
I started this thread because the other one has gone down the wrong road.

So, what do commercials mean for you?
I used to fish them quite regularly, but my fishing took a major change of direction.
I have now returned to the river which I was brought up on, the peace and quiet and the thrill of catching wild fish can't be beaten.
I have ventured back onto commercials, but only to introduce a couple om my novice mates to fishing.
For me, I hate commercials, but each to his own. The last time I fished a commercial (a couple of months ago) I witnessed horrific damage to the fish and vowed never to set foot there again.
It's a fact they are here to stay and do serve a purpose, so what do they mean to you?

Lord Paul

Reaction score
Great places for the right needs.
Like you say if your introducing a novice or a young child to fishing go some where you will catch and let them learn the basics and have fun, but be sure to supervise.

Also good places to try new things out - if the new tactics don't work on a commercial then it's unlikely to work on rivers.

They also offer somewhere for the older angler who may not be up to scrambling down banks any more.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Exactly the same Steve.

Due to work commitments i had'nt been on the bank for about 6 weeks, had a few hours spare in may, so went to the local commercial.

My first fish, a common around 14lbs, only one eye, no lips and split fins. The next fish the same.

My girlfreind picked me up a few hours later, as she arrived my buzzer sounded and struck. I felt a heavy weight on the line and literaly lifted a mirror around 12lbs straight out. The fish was in a disgraceful state, No caudal fin AT ALL, rest of fins split, and the poor creature was covered with scratches (looked like it had been slid along gravel). My girlfreind only just tollerates fishing (shes veggie, but thats another story), and made everything i had said to her about fishing not being cruel a lie.

This lake is full of kids with no supervision at all. i saw a kid that day using a cheap beachcaster with 20lb line with a method feeder on the end, just hauled the carp in. Makes me want to cry.

I dont think i'll ever fish a commercial again.

Marcus

E

EC

Some are ace, with beautifully created surroundings, lots of different species, and sensible stock levels.

Some are vile, 1000LB of torn mouthed scabby brown carp stuffed in an area the size of footy pitch, muddy grey banks and pegs 4metres apart, not for me, but each to their own.............sorry lads!

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

"Each to his own!"

People who fish those sorts of waters Eddie are not anglers in my view; they have, somehow, a different agenda.

If people think I am anti-commercial fisheries, let them think again. I am not!

What I am against is the overstocking of small pools with carp, carp and more bloody carp. What I am against is the shocking sight of these pools with artificial platforms all the way around them and numbered pegs. OK I know the Trent has numbered pegs but thank goodness, on many stretches, the numbering of pegs is diminishing as the pegs are weathered away.

Also what I am against are the rules. It's like reading the Highway Code when you go in. No this, no that, only pellets purchased from the management. allowed.....Ad infinitum!

And yes I have fished a few commercials in my life. One or two have been fine, but the rest......

UUrrrrggghh!!!!

E

EC

".........not anglers in my view; they have, somehow, a different agenda."

Not all people have the choices you have had Ron!

If a young lad/girl who wants to start angling has no access to a car and their only choice is the puddle down the road, what are they supposed to do?

I take your point though re:pools full of carp, but enough anglers go through the gates, fish the matches, buy the day tickets, pellets, tackle and breakfasts to keep them open.

Like it or not a large proportion of the angling public do like these places and use them, a lot!

T

Terry Comerford

Ron, if commercial fisheries didn't have platforms, where would disabled anglers fish?

R

Hey Eddie,

I only had access to a car in my early 20s. Before that it was a bicycle, bus, scooter and train.

But that didn't stop me. I went all over Britain on the train. I went down and fished the Royalty on the train. I went all over Lincolnshire by train and Shanks Pony mate, with me rucksack and brolly, and slept on the river bank and in hedgerows too. I went up to Scotland by train to places like Castle Loch and the Annan.

Baits? I dug worms, tied my own flies, scrounged old bread, pigmeal and cheese. I used simple dirt cheap baits like stewed wheat and grasshoppers.

Not only that I made all ny own rods, and for other people too. This gave me a bit of extra income. And I also wrote articles and developed my own photos, all to give me a bit of extra cash to go fishing.

I could go on, but I'll not bore you. By the age of 22, I had fished most of the well known rivers of England.

All it takes is a bit of ENTHUSIASM!

And I had plenty of that.

R

On a flat bit on the bank Terry.

E

EC

Would you go to those lengths today though Ron, what with all those hoodies and stuff?

I hope you didn't drive that scooter on the pavement as well!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Marcus. Your post doesn't make any sense at all, you say you fished a commercial but it was full of young kids that were unsupervised? you fished it with buzzers and probably baitrunners as well. Er! why, when everyone seems of the opinion that commercials are full to the brim with carp, do you feel it necessary to use sophisticated gear like that? Presumably these kids weren't using such sophisticated gear and yet catching carp anyway. To top it all you are never going to fish a commercial again on the basis of one visit, in other words all commercial pools are the same. You obviously havn't got much experience of commercials otherwise you wouldn't make sweeping statements like that.

I don't know why I seem to be making a stand for commercials on a couple of threads considering I very rarely if ever fish them but the majority certainly aren't the awful places that some would have us believe. Perhaps Marcus would care to visit Clattercote next year with the rest of us regulars and then let him state that it is another commercial (and they don't come any more commercial) just like the one he has experienced.

R

Ah but this country was civilised then Eddie.

At the moment all forms of civilisation that ever used to exist here are being eroded by Blair.

marcus ballam

Reaction score
Graham, i dont see that using a buzzer has anything to do with it? And is a cheapo buzzer sophisticated equipment? My main point was the state of the fish. And the boy usiing the beachcaster to haul em in.
What has that got to do with using pretty standard carp gear? Would it be better to use unsuitable tackle then?

Maybe the statement about never fishing commercials again was a bit rash. Its just the only commercials i have seen so far were not my cup of tea. (dont want to use the phrase, but you know the one!!!). I'm sure some of these waters are well managed etc.

And finally graham, i'd love to come to clattercote, i don't mind being proven wrong!!!

Regards

Marcus

Y

yoggy

So what did we do before the commercials then!!.Exactly,fish the rivers.If anglers were more honest and say the reason they fish the commercials is because they are virtually guaranteed a big weight,and they are to bloody bone idle to work for their fish and dont like a long walk to the car,then fair enough.And all this codswallop about,hoodlums,and feeling safer at a commercial!!.Sorry,i dont buy it.There are hoodlums in every street in every city and town.But does this stop anglers walking the streets,of course not.Stop making excuses you commercial boys and just admit you want an easy life and easy catch rate,if you did anglers like me would stop having a pop at you!!!

E

EC

Not sure too many commercial boys are reading Yogs! Good rant though!

Y

yoggy

Bloody shame that Ed, i might post it in the match section!! ;-)

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

The best commercials are the ones stocked with barbel .....not carp

E

EC

"The best commercials are the ones stocked with barbel .....not carp"

Biggest arf of the day Edward!

F

Frothey

...fish the commercials because they are virtually guaranteed a big weight,and they are to bloody bone idle to work for their fish and dont like a long walk to the car

i bet you feel all smug when seeing the bloke covered in slime after "bagging up" and you have the satisfaction of knowing your far superior in catching the 3oz perch you walked 2 miles for.....