traps and fyke nets

chav professor

Reaction score
Anyone ever find dubious stuff left in the river. To day I found a baited colapsable lobster pot - obvioulsy for eels. the b@stard thing is now sitting in my shed..... perhaps I should have photographed it and reported it.

I found fixed lines and also some more industrial looking traps that I also destroyed last year. Just wondered wether this happens regularly elsewhere?

barbelboi

Reaction score
[FONT=&quot]A few years ago,d[/FONT][FONT=&quot]uring the close season we used to find fixed lines staked to the bank of our local stretch of the Colne . For various reasons this is not a problem anymore.[/FONT]

chav professor

Reaction score
It reached a crescendo when we had a largish population of polish builders living in mobile homes on an industrial site next to the river 4 or 5 years ago. they are no longer there.

These days, when I see a trap I suspect it could just as easily be some white middle class pillock trying to live like Hugh Fearnley Whittingstall.

BTW - not a dig at the polish comunity. Very impressed that all polish anglers I see now fish within the law, even happy to stop and chat, share advice, rigs etc.... (Alot of them use some strange looking tackle and very heavy line).

How times have changed. Has the day of the Bar B Q with barbel carcasses in the close season come to an end????? I never believed all the scare stories of carrier bags full of fish being eaten on our river - though i suspect it happed on a small scale.

Last edited:

richiekelly

Reaction score
chav you should belive it, its still going on all over the country, my son found a net in the nene at wellingborough, a polish "angler" joined a local water and fished for the zander he doesnt fish there now enough said. i agree that most eastern european anglers now fish within the law but there are other eastern euopeans that i dont think are anglers that are a danger to fisheries, they are just after a meal and will use any method to get it, have you got signals in your river? if there are the trap may have been for them. would the trap have been put into the river if there were anglers on the bank all year round?

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
have you got signals in your river? if there are the trap may have been for them
If so it would have had registration tags on it, by law!

would the trap have been put into the river if there were anglers on the bank all year round?
Makes you think!!!

But I know it's just another little dig at Chav! :D :D :D Incidentally, both Chav and I feature in today's copy of the Oxford Mail giving our respective views on the close season...

Today Oxford, tomorrow ............................................................. Milton Keynes!

chav professor

Reaction score
Don't worry Blanker - I am on the river all year round:D:D:D:D

Yes Jeff, fame at last.... Today Oxford,....Tommorow......(where's milton keynes?????)

flightliner

Reaction score
Anyone ever find dubious stuff left in the river. To day I found a baited colapsable lobster pot - obvioulsy for eels. the b@stard thing is now sitting in my shed..... perhaps I should have photographed it and reported it.

I found fixed lines and also some more industrial looking traps that I also destroyed last year. Just wondered wether this happens regularly elsewhere?

A year or so ago I was fishing the tidal Trent, as the tide went out I saw a fyke net, inside were a couple of small perch. I let them go and the net is in a skip- sooner there than indiscriminately killing fish!Years ago there were licensed eel netters who were ligitimately on the river but as I understand it thats all gone.
Last year I found a box tethered to line in the margins of the same venue, it was a trap of sorts-- eel, fish, mink- not sure but later in the day a strange looking fellow just came up and cut the line and it just drifted away.---- and theres more-----
Same venue-- five orientals get out of a big "lovejoy" volvo -- its dark and i,m on my own, these guys proceed to sling out hand lines with multi baited hooks, I ask what they are doing and they say "we fish" I try to explain that such gear is illegal but then the mood changes so I leave it and pack up but not before I take a reg number-- it turns out that the car was owned by the owner of the local chuinese takeaway!!! Take care what you eat in the Newark area lads-- could be what you,ve spent all day trying to catch yourself!!.
PS- Chav-- wheres Oxford???????

chav professor

Reaction score
I'm not sure where Oxford is - perhaps Milton 'keens' sounds somewhere where the 'Chav' would feel more comfortable......

watatoad

Reaction score
I personally have not come across non indigenous United Kingdom fishers taking fish for food but I have had to have a word with a few English anglers taking fish to eat in the 18 to 27 age group. In point of fact over the years it has always and only ever been English or British anglers openly breaking the rules and law. Maybe I've just been lucky.hehehe