pols

david3092

Reaction score
being fairly new to pole fishing can anyone advise what length of line should i have from the end of the pole to the float ta david

E

EC

Depends what sort of fishing you are doing David, line to hand, then its the same as the length of the pole or whip minus a few inches.

I usally have about 18inches to 2 feet from the float to the tip of the pole, too long a length of line and you don't get the same degree of control. Too short a length and every movement of your body is transmitted along the pole to the float and tangles become a bit more common.

david3092

Reaction score
thanks for that i know from the times i have used the pole that has happened when the line is too long mind you all the pole floats which are ready made up seem to have yards of line on them in fact one of them had 4mts which draws me to another question wheres the best place tp buy pole floats ta

E

EC

To be honest mate, I make my own rigs and generally buy the floats as and when I need them from my local shop!

I have (20years ago) bought job lots of floats via mail order but you end up with 15 floats of which 10 you will hardly use.

My advice is to simply buy those floats you need to cover the different angles at the venue/s which you are fishing!

Have a scan through the articles on the site, am sure there will be some good pole articles !

D

DAN .

it depends on the venue and weather conditions. but as a rule of thumb i tend to stick to for my local cannal is about 2-2.5 foot and hold back if there is a slite tow.

T

Terry D

For normal fishing about 2.5 ft is about right.
If fishing shallow or up in the water then about 6-9ins is about right.
If very windy then about 3ft with a big back shot midway between float and pole tip.
If on a river, then as much as you need to trot as far down your swim as you need to. I usually go for the same length as my top 5 or top 6.
Hope this helps as a rough guide.

david3092

Reaction score
thanks for all info another question a lot of the pole floats i have bought in the past have size 18 shot where would i buy that from ta

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
David,

Pole floats that take less than about 0.75 grams shot load are often marked in Styl lead weights not shot. If you see 4 x 18, 4 x 16, 4 x 14, - very small floats 4 x 8 this will usually refer to Styl leads which are different to lead shot weights.
Styl leads are a bit like Stotz but in bigger sizes and generally only available in the very small sizes in the UK as the bigger szes are illegal in lead. These float markings are following the Continental convention. There are some UK made floats that have shot weights on them or gram sizes.

Shot weights are no 8 = 0.06 grams, No 6 = 0.10 grams.

Styl weights are:
no 20 = 0.258
no 18 = 0.170
no 16 = 0.13
no 14 = 0.08
no 12 = 0.05
no 10 = 0.03
no 8 = 0.015

So a pole float taking 4 x 18 = 4 x 0.17 = 0.68 grams = 11 x no 8 shot or a 0.50 gram Olivette plus droppers.

B

Bob Watson

David, You'll find that pole floats are generally weighted with styl leads in mind. ie, 4x18.

Here's a table.

Styl Grammes
4 x 8 0.08
4 x 9 0.09
4 x 10 0.1
4 x 12 0.2
4 x 14 0.3
4 x 16 0.5
4 x 18 0.75
4 x 20 1.0

I should have a days pole fishing sometime.

B

Bob Watson

Sorry Mark, crossed in the post ;-) the time delay being a google on styl weight "weights"

david3092

Reaction score
that info is magic do you know where i can get these weights from many thanks to you all david