Winter Carp - Where are you???

F

Fraser Jardine

Help.... Just getting back into fishing this year after along absence. I've moved house to within a five minute walk from Swim one on Pit three on the RMC lakes at Frimley :) :)
This being the case i'm going to be out on the water through the winter and fancy going for carp. I've had a great summer carping and would like to find out more on how to find them during the cold weather (if it is actually worth doing at all!) Any advice would be really welcome

Fraz

R

Rob Brownfield

What cold weather?..lol

And the answer is a big YES..they are worth going after...quieter waters and the fish are in there prime.

As for finding them...well..walk round the water as often as u can....u will see them :)

C

Carp Angler

You have a lot of margin fishing on pit 3, and this is where I would concentrate my efforts.

If you can get down there daily or every other day to trickle a small amount of bait into some likely spots then you are really onto a winner.

DAVE COOPER

Reaction score
There's an interesting article in the November issue of Total Carp by Colin Davidson on Winter baits.

He recommends using successful baits from the mainstream bait companies that have a good winter track record, like Mainline Grange CSL and keep a good quantity of bait going in regularly, even if you are not fishing. He also recommends avoiding pellets of any kind except hemp pellets.

Interesting approach and sounds like an ideal tactic for you Fraser, so have a gander at the article.

B

Birds Nest

I need to move to a place 5 minutes frim a decent swim !! Jammy bugger !! Lol

F

Fraser Jardine

Thanks for the advice, Dave i'll read the article.

Yeah - not only have i got the lakes nearby...but the wife doesn't mind either :)

Just hope you boys don't laugh at my 17 year old Sundridge 110 Carp rods with a TC of 1 1/4lb!
Thank god for christmas!

Cheers

Fraz

R

Ray Bewick

Good luck to you Fraser

I frequently take 'stick' for using old fishing kit as long as the fishes health & well being are topmost & you're enjoying yourself thats what counts.

As much as it pains me, take Carp Anglers advice; he occasionaly knows what he's talking about ! ;-) )

C

Carp Angler

Geee, thanks Ray.

Fraser, private mail on its way.

Cakey, if I lived 5 mins away from Frimley, you'd constantly see me dribbling in the edge.

C

Cakey

Ive sussed it get on the same bait as Rik ,
fish the same lake ,infact poach his swim and get your baits within inchs of his
CAKEY

C

Carp Angler

They try it all the time mate.

It gets to something that when you reel in and 3 or 4 pairs of binoculars are watching your every move or when you leave home and go to a new venue, you have to take a different route because people are following you to find out where you are fishing.

If only they were honest enough to ask, I'd tell them what bait and rigs I was using.
I tell you lot, they only have to look on here.

C

Carp Angler

Fraser, you're mail address is unreachable.

Can you mail me.

C

Cakey

Thats the trouble with being a minor celebrity,
did you like that !
cheated I got it of the big breakfast,

CAKEY

C

Carp Angler

BN

You aint heard the half of it.
Couple that with having your car vandalised and I've even had areas of the lake closed off by committees, so the swims could recover, but it was OK for committee members to fish those swims.

R

Rob Brownfield

Rik, its not just u carpers, I have the same problem on my local Pike water. I have people sitting in the reeds waiting for me to leave the swim so they can drop in. Its mad. What I actually have started to do is wade as far as I can (40-60 yards) and, when I feel the loch bottom dropping away, I swing the bait out one rod length. (Bait at bottom of slope)...I then open the bail arm and pretend to cast as far as i can.

I now see people wading out and lobbing deadbaits another 60-80 yards into the loch, completely missing the fish..its so funny.

Another one I did was to leave very big Herring in the margins when I left. Guys started to see these and fish massive baits....whilst i was catching on Spratts and sardines..lol..oh joy :)

A

Andy Davis

wish I lived that close to Frimley...takes me 15mins to drive there ;-)

F

Fraser Jardine

As the crow flies it's about 30M from Pit 3. The bloody railway line means i can't get there from my back garden :( (i know your hearts have spontaneously started to bleed) :)

has anyone tried pit 4? There's a shed load of weed there at the mo but it looks as though it could be quite good. Nobody seems to fish it.

A

Andy Davis

i'd love a bash at pit 4...but not being able to fish nights is a pain, so with limited time i'm going to stick with pit 3 for awhile.