What difference ...

• Thread starter ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)
  • Start date
E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

All the time you hear people saying
" We MUST get more kids into fishing"
and "We MUST recruit more anglers"

But, what if, for instance, no more kids DID take up fishing --
What difference would it make ??

Apart from the people that make money from angling i.e. Tackle shops,Angling magazines ,fishery owners etc.I'm sure it wouldn't make any difference at all to just the ordinary angler would it ??
Can anyone on here who doesn't have a vested interest or make money from angling honestly say that it would affect them in any way ........

P

paul williams 2

I hate to disagree with you on this one Ed, if only because it riles me to have to agree with one angler i detest above all others....but thats another story to be told in private mate.

Yes..it would make a difference, we would have no more "secret" little waters run by a club with foreward thinkers.....because we , as the ones who are vested with passing on to the next generation couldn't be arsed to plant the seeds for the foreward thinkers!

Had a few bevvies and a currry, so if by the next time i log on that doesn't make sense........i will talk more sticky stuff!

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

What difference would it make?
Posibly fewer shops but with better quality tackle.

Ric Elwin

Reaction score
If kids don't come into fishing, it will be wide open to being banned, following a big effort by the antis. If very few people go fishing, who will oppose these people? they will surely get their way won't they?

Not now, or in 10 years, but 20-30 perhaps?

C

Clive Evans 1

Can there really be anyone on here who doesn't have a vested interest in angling?
Surely not.
If only for selfish reasons.

I have to side with Paul on this one Ed.

By the by Paul, is your most detested angler the same person as mine?
Or are there two of them?

C

Clive Evans 1

Steve, when you're as ancient as Ed, there isn't any future for angling.

It might make a difference for you youngsters, but it makes no difference for him.

E

thats right Clive ...pretty much the same as you ...

E

You are all reading what I said wrongly ......

The point I was trying to make was ...

If, for instance, no more kids DID take up fishing --
What difference would it make to any of us ??

(Clive,whisper who this detested angler is... )

B

Budgie Burgess

Right now at this very moment it would make no difference to "my" angling at all.

Right now it wouldnt affect me if the rain forrest was completely destroyed or whales were to become extinct etc etc etc

And thats what makes the future of both angling and the world so precarious if us humans continue with our selfish attitude.

E

EC

It might, as you say, help shut my local shop, with there being less business and all.

It wouldnt affect my actual fishing I rarely see kids on the bank as is!

GrahamM

Managing Editor
Reaction score
If no kids come into fishing then fishing will die. That will not affect me personally at all, but I have grandchildren, and one in particular who likes fishing, and knowing what joy fishing has given me for all of my life I don't want him, or other people's grandchildren, to miss out.

Like Budgie says, if the whole world comes to an end in 100 years it won't make any difference to any of us, but luckily, those of us with children and grandchildren, are concerned about their future.

C

Clive Evans 1

Sorry Ed. Don't know how to whisper in print, excuse my ignorance!

By the way, do you know anyone called 'marl'?

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Kids are the future of angling and they always have been, we are anglers because somebody took the time to get us interested, nothing new there. What difference would it make if there were no kids fishing - none whatsoever to us as Graham says but angling would become a minority, minority sport.

Do you have a reason for putting this on Ed?

E

No --just sitting here bored last night ...

It was a toss up whether I put that up or one about Big Brother ....

E

marl ?? as in a name ....

I don't think so .... why??

L

Les Clark

My sport is fishing ,fishing and fishing and I would be upset to think that it may not exist in 100 years time .
I hope that the carp /barbel craze will cease in the next few years ,( I think that the carp craze is on its way out now )and hopefully the youngsters will go back to the basics and LEARN watercraft ,but I`m an old git now and maybe looking through rose tinted glasses ,I can but hope .