Des Taylor coming back?

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

There have been threads about anglers such as **** Walker and Terry Hearn in the past.
But little mention is given to people like Des Taylor. As you all know he is/was an angler of only recent years. What I would like to know is how you would compare the fishing skills of Des Taylor and somebody like Matt Heyes.

As much as I can remember, Des spent more time telling us all how many pints of Caffreys he could chuck down his gullet rather than keeping us informed of up to date fishing tactics.

Matt Heyes on the other hand is always in the limelight and seems to be a much better angler than Des Taylor. He certainly portrays angling in a much better light.

Do you think that Des realised that his time was up when the likes of Matt came on the scene?
How would you compare them both today?

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Two different characters entirely if you ask me. I have spent quite a lot of time with Des, especially when I used to visit Bewdley a lot.

He was extremely helpful in finding me swims and places to fish on the Severn.

I have also spent some time drinking with him, especially in the Horn and Trumpet and Great Western. Don't try to keep up with him on this score, you wont.

As to whether he is a better angler than Matt Hayes, I really don't know. He certainly can fish a bit make no mistake and he can do most forms of angling.

I really must give him a call again sometime. His wife Margaret, is also a delightful person.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
I would say Des is a much better angler than Matt and certainly more experienced. The fact the Matt is on the tele doesn't make him a good angler.

Des writes a lot of his stuff just to get a reaction, and he does, but he is a down to earth black country man and has been fishing since he was knee high to a grasshopper and there wouldn't be much Matt could teach him about angling.

Lord Paul

Reaction score
You can't beat writting stuff to get a reaction Graham you silly old fool

B

Like Ron says. You would have a job keping up with him in the pouring it down your neck field. But that isn't what fishing is about is it?

I agree he was good in his day Graham. But how good would he be in these modern times against the likes of Matt Hayes? Take him off the Severn and I reckon he would be lost against Matt.

The last I saw of him he was filling it in with boilies at Cuttle Mill. Not really inovating stuff is it? But to be fair to Des that was some years ago.
Which made me think is this why he took a back step because anglers like Matt Hayes were the up and coming trend setters?

T

The Monk

great lad Des, one of me old fishing mates from way back, good angler, lovely lad

B

Bur what about now?
Why don't we hear of him much these days? Peer pressure maybe?

R

Does it really matter any more Baz?

Who cares whether Joe Soap is a better angler than Albert Thosselthwaite.

When you get to my age it matters not a damn. I've lost count of the numbers of fish other will classify as specimen fish years ago.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
You probably don't know this Baz but Des lives on the Severn at Bewdley and fishes it on a very regular basis always has and still does and he's probably forgot more about that river than Matt Hayes ever knew. Matt incidently grew up in Hampton Loade but he hasn't lived there for years. Des is also a carp fisherman, trout man, and often goes abroad fishing so yes, he is up to date, very much so.

Oh and he's an advisor for Badger tackle for his sins.

B

It might and I only said "might" matter to Des.
Okay then for the sake of Des's vanity, let me ask was he even on par with Matt Hayes?
I am only trying to find out how he would stack up to the likes of Hayes.

I know you have fished with him Ron, as you have done with other well known anglers. Try not to be biassed in your answer. But If it would put you in an embarrassing situation I/we would understand. Taylor against Hayes. Who is the best?

B

Yes.
I did know that Des lives on the Severn at Bewdley Graham. But I can't help but notice his lack of publicity anymore. Did he see the writing on the wall? That is all I am asking.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Maybe he just chooses to take a back seat and not push himself any more we are all getting older Baz ......

And like Ron I too have known Des for years and years and a good bloke and a good angler he is too ....

R

Baz,

When you have been fishing as long as I have, the comparison of angling achievements becomes secondary to many other aspects of the sport. Certainly the comparison of lists of big fish between two anglers means absolutely nothing.

If Joe Soap has caught a 50 pound carp and Fred Blogs has only caught a 30 pound carp, does that mean that Joe Soap is a better carp angler?

Of course it doesn't.

The definition of what makes a great angler, is most difficult to quantify.

One thing I can say is that neither Des Taylor nor Matt Hayes are particularly good with a fly rod. I can leave both of them behind any day, and so can Graham Marsden.

T

Terry Comerford

"But I can't help but notice his lack of publicity anymore. Did he see the writing on the wall? That is all I am asking."

Baz, I think I've read about 15 articles by Des in different mags in the last two months.

His sponsored team of match anglers the SBS Match Team, have won about 30 Open matches between them, since May.

Merv Harrison

Reaction score
"Baz, I think i've read about 15 articles by Des in different mags in the last two months"

Perhaps the question should have been....

How do'es Des Taylor compare to the DVSG ???? :eek:]

T

Terry Comerford

You would have to ask that question in 25 years time Merv. ;-)

B

Okay then.
Now that you have all finished massaging Des Taylors ego, can one of you answer the question? And tell me, what have you all got against Matt Hayes?

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

Nothing at all --Matt is a good bloke too -I've fished with him at Burton Mere on the Wirral, We did a thing on there for the kids ....

B

Thank you Ed.
So you know both anglers and have fished with both anglers.
So can you tell me the answer to the original question?

Or have I accidentally stumbled across something which might only seem hurtfull to Des?
If Des isn't up to it with the likes of Matt Hayes anymore, I wouldn't have a problem with it myself.

F

Frank "Chubber" Curtis

Des goes to India every year with Dave Plummer's party to fish for Mahseer and from what Dave has told me he's had a lot of good fish. Extra supplies of beer have to be laid on for him but I can't criticise a man for liking his booze.