Hooklength lines.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
What hooklength lines do you use for the bigger fish say, 6lb plus?

I tend to use Powerline up to a maximum of 6lb and mostly for my float fishing but I don't seem to settle on any particular one for, say barbel fishing. Sometimes its fluorocarbon sometimes braid it depends on the state of the river but I am not keen on reduced diameter lines for the bigger fish, how about you?

N

Nigel Connor(ACA ,SAA)

WB Clark Matchteam is the stuff Graham.Tough as old boots despite its diameter.

E

ED (The ORIGINAL and REAL one)

That used to be called Silstar Match Team didn't it

If it's the same stuff --It IS brilliant .........

E

EC

Is that the stuff on the blue spool Ed?

I used to use that on pole rigs and for the float in 0.10mm, 0.12 and 0.14mm, at these diameters it was spot on.

But for some reason I could never get on with it when feeder fishing, maybe the larger diameters are better for the tip!

I think Andy Nellist uses the WB Clarke match stuff for his hooklengths!

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Andy swears by WB Clarke and has recommended it to me on more than one occasion, so has Nigel before today, the trouble is, it isn't widely available and certainly not round my neck of the woods. I saw some of the original Silstar match team stuff going cheap at The NEC last year but no way would I buy that, just imagine how old that would have been and it was there in bins and probably carted around all the fishing shows.

There must be others though that barbel anglers use, just interested to know what it is.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

For barbel I have about 30 x 200 yards spools of Stren fluoro and about 15 x 200 yards of no-name fluoro. All beteen 6 lbs and 15 lbs. The no-name stuff is the best I have ever used.

That little lot should last me forever.

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

If you are looking for a low visability, low diameter, supple mono hooklength then W B Clarke is superb. I use the 3.3, 4.6, 5.5, 6.6, 7.9 and 10.1.

It's also a great reel line when float fishing and legering at short to medium range. For heavier duty feeder fishing and for longer range work I use maxima.