Hair Rig Basics

carpkid

Reaction score
Hi all
Im new to fishing, only been a few times. Caught quite alot of tench on the float last time i went but i want to fish for carp.
I understand how to tie a hair rig and i have all the equipment. i just dont understand how you fish it. I cant find any info on the internet. So do you bait up the area around the hair rig or just leave it to attract the carp by itself?
Much appreciated

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
A PVA bag with loosefeed on the hook (teabag) is one way to do it for a long chuck.
If it's close range the old fashioned catapult

sagalout

Reaction score
Method feeder, pellet waggler, the list is as endless. You are just fishing, the hair rig is a means of presenting bait with the hook clear to hook the fish as the bait is ejected from the mouth. The way you fish it is the same as all fishing, no feed, loose feed, feeder (cage, open end, method, maggot), spod, bait boat, rowing boat, etc.

Tee-Cee

Reaction score
I do very well with the hair rig used in conjunction with a pva stringer holding half dozen samples of the hook bait I'm using and this thern fished over a bed of particles such as hemp etc etc.....works just fine !

I suggest you'll need to experiment over a period....and of course if fishing at long range then its a slightly different story.IMHO you need to read,read,read and talk to other anglers where you're fishing!!

saves a lot of wasted effort..............

ps Its a massive subject with many people offering good sound advice BUT really it all depends on the on the water your fishing!

Good luck though!

Last edited:

nicky

Reaction score
I like to mix up some vitalin and pellets and mould it around the lead and tuck the bait inside and lob it out ensures you have some bait right around your hook bait for the carp to home in on, basically the method but without the use of a method feeder, also it makes sure your hook length doesn't get tangled

carpkid

Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips will have to try some of them out :)