3 court cases from the EA

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Ian the EA can fine those it catches without a license, and tough luck on them who get caught?.No sympathy! But it will only be universally accepted by all those who own and use a fishing rod, when their fellow anglers condemn them and refuse to fish with them if they ain?t got one. Totally and utterly Social Unacceptable for not possesing one, is what I?m saying.

I don?t think we are anywhere near there yet and some anglers are still tipping a nod and wink to those fishing without one.

A case in point, I went fishing last week with my lad, he hasn?t fished for 15 years, He knows there?s no way I?d go fishing with him without buying a license.
9 o?clock Monday morning we?re queuing at the post office for him to purchase his license so that we could go in the afternoon.
It may sound terrible, but I think had it been anyone else he was going with, he might have chanced his arm, as it might be another 15 years before he goes again.

P

pons

The EA does not fine anyone,they just bring the offence to court.
The Courts impose sentence and fines if appropriate.
That varies from region to region.
Pons.

W

Woodys angle

Too right Chris. All the EA get is some miserly expenses which barely cover the time they've wasted. In fact. it's a loss making exercise, but hopefully the fear of being caught forces enough to buy the licence.

I

Ian Cloke

With fines like the one above, will any none licence buyer, be frightened into buying one??????

I think not........

A

Andy "the Dog" Nellist (SAA) (ACA)

In London you get fined more for parkling illegally or forgetting to pay the congestion charge

P

Chris your quite right the courts deal with them as they feel fit. The EA put them before the courts and the post should have reflected that. Apologies for any misunderstanding.

Should the EA not be given the right to give fixed penalties as parking, environmental, dog, etc wardens do for not having a license?

Starting at let?s say ?300 first offence, ?600 second, ?1200 third, ?2400 forth. All monies from payments to be retained by the EA like councils do with parking.

I

Ian Cloke

"Starting at let?s say ?300 first offence, ?600 second, ?1200 third, ?2400 forth. All monies from payments to be retained by the EA like councils do with parking. "

Now that's a bit more of a deterrant, the fines that arein the above cases are laughable, that's why I brought them to your attention. They are the only 4 fines that have been published by the EA, so how many others must just get a warning? Or a slap on the wrist??????

P

Explain why then Chris?
Coz a change in the law made it possible for councils to do it under the above headings so why not?

P

pons

Can you imagine a lone Bailiff explaining to an irate Angler he has just got a ?300 fine,or ?600 or more,for an offence.
At the moment the Bailiff reports the offence,he does not impose it.

He also often works in remote locations by running water,often with poor mobile phone signal,and very little chance of back up.

Pons.

F

Fred Bonney

...and that's from a fella,who I should think, can look after himself!
Dealing with poachers, is much the same.
It's all very well saying, we've got to stand up against these people,get them off the fishery or, force them to pay on demand. But,even I, and I ain't small, would think very carefully about dealing with some of the people you meet, on a lonely river bank.
We all know 'friends' who fish illegally,I don't fish with them nor should you!

P

pons

Fred ,
I have a good freind,who did his first Overnighter on a local well known Carp and Cat water,fishing with his young chum.

Not only was it rammed,but most "Anglers" were drunk at night,many obviously on funny substances,and many had hopelessly inadequate gear,including pan nets ,and no unhooking mats.
One was fishing 7 rods,most at least 4.

This on a fishery with a three rod limit.

They came home quite shocked.

And they call that Fishing.

Imagine how any fish hooked in the middle of the night are going to be treated,whilst "Anglers" are sleeping off the effects of the booze.

Oh,and nearly all the alarms were set to wake the dead,which to all intents and purposes most were at night.

He asked me if I fancied a trip !

Makes the average pleasure angler on the river,seem like a saint in comparison.
Pons.

P

Chris interesting view but doesn?t that already apply to EA officials when they come across a person(s) without a license in such places?
Takes name(s) warns them under caution that they may be prosecuted.

Likewise, the same applies to other enforcers of fixed penalty notices (fpns). And many of them are dealing with people in the roughest areas of our cities and towns.
The dog sh1t wardens in M/c are all women btw. Street Envo officers are mix men and women.

As for poor communications, the technology does exist, at a price, which will work in the remotes areas.

I don?t for one minute think it would be an easy job, and yes there would be irate individuals not happy to get a fixed penalty notice, but there are steps that can be taken to maximise your personal safety.

Not sure whether you understand how fpns work. You get the notice on the spot but have 21 days to pay, and/or appeal against it and request a court appearance.

The do nothing scenario is no longer an option from the vast majority anglers, it is them who are being ripped off by these cheats, and that is socially, and morally unacceptable to them.

P

pons

Phil,
As a lowly foot soldier,I have to follow orders and directives,and policy,but I am sure the powers that be will looking at all options.
Regarding personal safety,thats an everyday feature of the job,and most are well versed and skilled at dealing with folk and recognising when it's time to call up the Cavalry .
Pons

W

Woodys angle

The EA have been pursuing it apparently, maybe not as high as ?300, but anything they can keep is better than nothing right now.

Can't see why the bailiffs would be in any greater danger. All they'd be doing is serving a notice if the guy can't produce a licence. I'd be just as liable to get one if I'd forgotten mine at home, but only if I couldn't produce at all would the fixed penalty be applied. There's always the appeal process as well.

It's not that long ago that two EA enforcement officers were beaten up in our area, without fixed penalties.

Interesting story from London area: A skip lorry tried to load a skip and its wheel got stuck in a flooded hole. The guy was waiting for a tow out when the TW came around and stuck a notice on his windscreen even though he'd explained to her what the problem was. The council revoked the fine and apologised.