Interesting Fishing tackle

Nev Robinson

Reaction score
Back in, I think it was, 1976, I was fishing in a match at Colchester Piscatorial Society lake. Pegged on my immediate left was, my hero, Ivan Marks. There were other members of the 'Leicester Likely Lads' and several more big names of the day taking part. I was doing OK when my catapult snapped at the arm and it came back and hit me in the face narrowly missing my eye. I shouted "oh gosh that hurt" or words to that effect.

Ivan asked if I was ok and chucked me one of his home made catapults to use. It was just a round ally rod bent to shape and stuffed into a bicycle handle grip, with some square elastic and a home made leather pouch.

At the end of the match I handed him back the catty and asked him to sign his book on match fishing. He signed my book and told me to keep the catty. I couldn't have been happier if I had won the match and all the pools cash.

I fished against him several times after that, but we only nodded and said "Hi", he probably didn't even remember me.

I am now sixty and retired, I don't fish in matches any more as my eyes aren't up to it, but I still have and use that catty although the elastic has been changed a time or two. Though some kind person stole the book.

Does any one have a copy for sale?

Nev Robinson

Reaction score
Have you seen the prices of this book in Amazon? Up to ?35-00. What would my signed first edition have been worth? Not that I could ever have sold it.

Anyway thanks for looking fellows, I am watching the copy on ebay.