A Blast From The Past

• Thread starter BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester
  • Start date
B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

there are too many foolish meddlers in physick and divinity that think themselves fit to meddle with hidden secrets, and so bring destruction to their followers.

What are your thoughts on this passage by Izaak Walton given the way that angling seems to be going?

What dicipline of angling do you think of that has been meddled with too much?

Or do we put it down to natural progress?

J

john conway

In Isaac?s time everything caught was knocked on the head and eaten. Perhaps we should go back to the time when we didn?t play about with our food.
If you are not hungry don't go fishing?
Seriously Baz, I?m not too concerned about how people fish so long as it?s within good accepted fish welfare practices. Whatever floats your boat and all that.
We can?t turn the clock back, but if we could, then it would be the stocking on non-indigenous species in our rivers and natural still waters.

B

I don't have to think about these things Gra. They are happening all the time. Are you saying that Izaak Walton talked a load of rubbish?

I have never been a follower of the phrase "what floats your boat" John or "Every man to his own". To me it is just a cop out for the short sigted. I suppose it is a very fine line between progress and self destruction.

We have had these discussions in recent weeks such as over stocking, commercials, and unbalanced fisheries. And that's just the tip of the iceberg that will melt sooner or later.

My opinion is that it will melt sooner rather than later the way we are going.

I am reflecting on what this great man has said. If he was talking nonsense then so am I.

Neil Maidment

Reaction score
Icebergs melt from the bottom up!

I'll bet this thread is gonna turn into a Baz special!

J

john conway

Baz, I can?t comment on what Isaac said about angling because I?ve not read any of his work. However, you must bear mind that he was probably perfectly happy with slavery, women not having a vote and all fish caught being eaten.

I don?t mind lads fishing overnight on rivers or still waters, or even for a couple of nights, this is not something new. But to be fare to other anglers we have to have some rulers that satisfy both camps. I?m not one who believes it?s got to be only one way or the other just because it simplifies things. Nor do I believe that compromise is always a sign of weakness. I don?t want to live in a society that can?t cope with both individualism and communities.

Baz I?m an engineer and as far as I am concerned everything is open to investigation and question. What you do with the information is another story? Genetic engineering maybe the downfall of our society but it may also be its savour.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Izaac Walton has nothing to say that would apply to todays angler except general observations on the art of angling that can be interpreted as philosophical, he could have lived on another planet for all the relevance to modern angling.

Deanos

Reaction score
I think it was either Alf Garnett or Isaac Walton who said the following:
?This country went downhill when women got the vote!?they should never have unchained Emily Pankhurst from the bloody railings!?.

Can anyone direct me to a web site with naked pictures of Carol Vorderman please?
YEAH BABY!!!!!

W

Woodys angle

Baz,

In that passage he's talking of age old remedies and cures for ailments to man and fish that we would no longer consider or have proved to be no more than old wives tales.

He wasn't some Nostradamus making a prophecy on the future of angling in 400 years from then. He's simply saying that he wouldn't meddle in matters that were current medical practice.

Well that's my take on it.

Same as I would allow stem cell research to continue, bringing the argument up-to-date, simply because we may find cures for unbearable diseases that affect many a person now. However, many a devout Christian (?) would condemn such research (like George Bush does) and thereby condemn the people that are presently suffering. In other words they wouldn't meddle either, or take the attitude "blow you Jack, I'm alright".

B

That's right Graham. Put the blinkers on to everything that that stands in your way.

John.
Both camps can not be satisfied.
There is one set of rules for everybody no matter what club you are in. Otherwise it would be total anorchy.

I don?t want to live in a society that can?t cope with both individualism and communities.

Sorry John but wake up to the fact that you are in one.

John.I'm a gardener and I believe that everything is open to question and investigation also. Genetic engineering/Gardening are one and the same, and they/it could well be the downfall of our angling society.

Sorry again John. But much of what you have said has no relevance to this thread what so ever. Appart from you wanting to do your own thing.

The last sentence is not meant in a nasty way.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
"That's right Graham. Put the blinkers on to everything that that stands in your way"

Well, A. I don't have blinkers and B. It doesn't in any way stand in my way in fact I never even think about him, why would I want to, plus he wrote that book about the river Lea which I have never fished nor ever likely to?

Perhaps you should get the book out of the library and go back to the loo and read it. Then once you have analysed his writings and meanings you could perhaps enlighten us less scholarly members on how Walton's book is relevant to todays angling.

Should keep you occupied until Christmas that.

R

Ron 'The Hat' Clay (ACA-Life Member)

Of course The Compleat Angler is relevant to today's angler. All it is is a book written many years ago on angling. They used hooks and baits and rods and floats and worms etc., just as we do today

The fact that they ate their fish is of no consequence. I still eat some of the fish I catch and so do many others in the world today.

And Walton much prefered trout and perch to the loggerheaded chub, which were only fit for milkmaids.

C

Clive Evans 1

"I am reflecting on what this great man has said. If he was talking nonsense then so am I."

Baz, you don't need any help in talking nonsense. You are brilliant at it on your own!!

captain carrott

Reaction score
as he says he's a gardener which means he's been out in the hot sun for the past few days.

this explains many things.

J

john conway

JC >>I don?t want to live in a society that can?t cope with both individualism and communities.<<

Baz >>Sorry John but wake up to the fact that you are in one.<<

Sorry Baz, but I think we are living in a far more tolerant society than that of my farther.

You're right I did drift off the subject a wee bit, so to keep it more in line with your question. The choices of angling styles and disciplines open to me are far greater than they were as a young lad and I have no problem with any of them. Nor do I at this moment in time, wish to change any. Other than turning the clock back and not stocking non-indigenous species in our rivers and natural still waters, I'm willing to let others "float their own boats" and don't consider this attitude as a cop out. I don't HAVE to be with you or against you.

Baz >>What discipline of angling do you think of that has been meddled with too much?<<

JC None

Baz >>Or do we put it down to natural progress?<<

JC Yes.

I know I'm going to regret this!

Baz, did you have any specific discipline in mind when you asked the question? And if so what exact bit or bits do you not agree with?

Reaction score
I'm not sure Walton was a prophetic character but as Ron says, he was fishing for same species as you and me and his writing is still very relevent (and enjoyable).

He did however not have all of the answers (like us) and on occasions came out with some right nonsense...

He suggests that pike,

"are bred, some by generation, and some not, as namely, of a weed called pickerel-weed...this weed and other glutinous matter, with the help of the sun's heat, in some particular months, and some ponds apted for it by nature, do become pike".

B

Graham says he wrote that book about the River Lea. But Woody says he is talking about age old remedies and cures to man.
I wish you two wouldn't argue and get your facts right before posting.

Appart from myself, Ron is the only person talking any sense.....and Clive perhaps.

I am not talking of angling styles or diciplines John. I have already stated what I think the biggest problems are in my second posting.

Are you deliberately trying to start an argument or undermine my authority on this subject?

captain carrott

Reaction score
Appart from myself, Ron is the only person talking any sense.....

some one get some some oxygen i cant breath for laughing.

I have already stated what I think the biggest problems are in my second posting.

but that's not what that nice doctor lady said was it.

R

Pike from weed and eels from the putrifaction of the earth. That's what they thought took place then.

Remember that in Walton's time, you could be burned at the stake as a heretic if you spoke about things in a way that may be different from the clergy or status quo at the time. They still believed in witches and the occult.

Walton was a supporter of the Crown, as well as a man of some means. He was an ironmonger.

R

He also lived to a remarkable age for that time. Mid eighties I believe.

He certainly ate a healthy diet - fish.

Not only that he went fishing.