Now thats a proper match record

Joskin

Reaction score
It was good to see on the back page of Angling Times this week a report from the A.T in 1981 of the new 5 hour match record of 279lb of Roach from a water in Ireland.

Now that is an impressive catch. It worked out to be around 730 Roach. Thats one every 40 seconds averaging around 6oz a fish. Wow.
That is a hell of allot more impressive than the current record of what 5-600lb of Carp averaging 6lb or so from a commercial that we see reported these days.

What has happened to these sort of catches?
Do they still happen? It would make a refreshing change to see similar catches reported in the weeklies.

What has happened to the big catches of fish that used to appear each week?

We just seem to see individual big fish and reported huge weights of pigs with fins.

B

BAZ (Angel of the North) aka Fester

What has happened to the big catches of fish that used to appear each week?

Commercials mate commercials.

Joskin

Reaction score
Dont start that rubbish again Baz people still fish the rivers.

B

Jos.
What I am saying is that with more and more match anglers going to the commercials, this must have an affect on the once proloific canals and stillwaters where the matchman once ruled.

Joskin

Reaction score
Yes that is true but people do still fish rivers though. I never seem to see such catches of fish in the A.T any more even by pleasure anglers. Does it not happen any more? Have the huge heads of roach and Bream gone?

B

I don't think so mate. A lot of pleasure anglers have their barbel/specimen heads on nowadays.

If you watch a video on roach fishing etc it's usually of somebody with a pole sat there boreing you to death.
I'm not being picky but I also think that poles have a lot to answer for. That is what the angling weeklies are all about today. Poles and specimen fish. No variation whatsoever. The ballance of diciplines being rammed down our throats is all wrong.

Not all vids are like that though. Just watch a waggler fishing video from yester year and take note of how much more interesting, involved, and entertaining it is.

The sooner the waggler, and tip rod is portrayed more often like it used to be,the sooner we will get more new people back into angling.
And the sooner we will see the big Roach and Bream catches comeing back.

This is not to say that waggler or Pole fishing is better than the other.

Joskin

Reaction score
But the Roach and bream can be caught from the rivers by pole anglers. The guy in the A.T with that huge bag of roach in 1981 was in fact useing a pole to catch them.

Come on there has to be more to it than Poles and commercials being responsible for the lack of these catches appearing in the press.

Joskin

Reaction score
Do these kind of catches not sell papers any more so they go unpublished?
Are there less silver fish in our waters these days?

B

If you are talking solely about rivers, then it is possible that there are not as many silver fish in them as there once was. The Trent being the one that springs to mind. Although I have not fished the Trent enough to say one way or the other.

Take the Ribble.
Again most anglers are going for Barbel and Chub. They often talk about Chub knocks and the Chub/Barbel being finicky and giving twitchy bites. Or the rod bangs right over and they strike into thin air. Oooh clever wised up old Chub/Barbel these are.

How many of them have even thought of running a stick float or waggler through their swim to find out for sure if it is Chub/Barbel being finicky? All fish are opertunists, so why couldn't it be Roach or Dace haveing a go their bait? (especially flake)

I'll tell you why.
They have got their bluddie specimen Barbel/Chub heads on. And the thought never enters their minds that's why.

As I said earlier.
Far too much coverage by the press of one or two species. Sooner or later anglers will get bored with what they are doing and go back to the float for the smaller species. Then we will see if the rivers still hold good bags of silver fish or not. I think that they do.
But not enough anglers are willing to give it a go.

Joskin

Reaction score
That makes sense Baz.

To many secimen or single species anglers out there these days.

Is it still possible to get the bags of fish that we used to get from the rivers and even the lakes in the 80s.

If it is and the press publised more features and photographs of such catches more frequently then perhaps more anglers would get back to the rivers.
I know we do see the occasional big catch reported in the press but its not enough to convice non river anglers out there that it is possible and it can happen in their area.

B

I have just read an old (not too old) article about Kim Milson and Bob James battling it out on a river. B.James fished for specimen fish. K.Milson fished match style.

Two top anglers thrashing it out to see if specimen or match style was the best.
The result. A Draw.

And I reckon the same would happen today.

B

By the way, Milsom was on the pole. And B.James was not allowed to roam about.

B

Get John Ledger on this subject. He will tell you/us a thing or two about silver fish in rivers.

B

And I trhink it is more possible to get a big bag of silver fish from a river more so than a lake nowadays. Rivers are virtually untouched for silver fish. So until the day of change does come we will never know for sure will we?

Why do we have to wait for the press to tell us that rivers are good for silver fishing?

One reason is because a lot of todays anglers have become used to having it handed to them on a plate rather than go and find out for them selves.

P

paul williams 2

A 6oz roach every 40 seconds......and in Ireland!!!!!!!!

That is as bad as any muddy commercial!

P

Paul Christie

I'm sure there was a huge Irish roach catch in a match last year or the year before.
It still happens but sure there's less interest in that type of fishing these days.

P

Paul Christie

Baz, the float fishing on the river is absolutely fantastic, but keep it to yourself or we'll have big time redundacies in the pellet making industry if everyone finds out.

P

Phil Hackett disability bad speller with Pride

Paul your membership of the River Float Anglers Club is withdrawn with immediate effect.
Furthermore, or hitman (Ledger John which is a misnomer to put the police off his trail) has been dispatch with his lignum stick firing crossbow (such a perfectionist) to liberate you from your worldly endeavours.

Rik Smith

Reaction score
With the advent of the commercials and the pellet coming to the fore even more it seems over the past few years .And even though people obviously fish the commercials with maggot.Has there been a downturn in the amount of maggot sold? Especially with the rivers not fished as much and the days of taking 4pts of bronze with you plus to matches seemingly gone out the window.