Match virgin seeks experienced men for guidence

Disco stu

Reaction score
Hello lads.
I am fishing our companies annual match at the Decoy lakes near Whittlesey next Wednesday. I dont do match fishing and I cant fish a pole because of athritis in my wrists.
I have been monitering the angling papers for tips as I would like to at least weigh in and they all suggest pellet and paste on the pole so I would appreciate any tips from the lads on fishing a match like this without a pole i.e. line strength, hooklengths, hook sizes ect as I normally fish lakes and pits for tench and carp and rivers for roach and chub
There will be about 100 of us turning up, a lot of them are good match anglers, so with me it will be a case of he who dares.
I have all the gear including a hat similar to Rons.
If I win any cash I will donate it to a fishing charity, its not the money, its the pride which is at stake.
Cheers.

D

david bruce 1

I fish a match once a year like you, and its 25 years since i was a serious match fisher. Stick to what you know. Find out the species and sizes and favoured baits. Visit a good library. They usually have a book or two on todays match fishing. Remember even the 20 metre Pole anglers use whips etc to fish along the near side so a conventional rod/reel set up is not out of the question for fishing close in the sides. Enjoy yourself and smile at the antics of the pole pushers I do - its not fishing to me and couldnot work in the places i fish usually high banks and vegetation etc. - they will be hovering over the fish in hot air baloons next - or perhaps they alreay do!!! :)