Match virgin seeks experienced men for guidence

Disco stu

Reaction score
Hello lads.
I am fishing our companies annual match at the Decoy lakes near Whittlesey next Wednesday. I dont do match fishing and I cant fish a pole because of athritis in my wrists.
I have been monitering the angling papers for tips as I would like to at least weigh in and they all suggest pellet and paste on the pole so I would appreciate any tips from the lads on fishing a match like this without a pole i.e. line strength, hooklengths, hook sizes ect as I normally fish lakes and pits for tench and carp and rivers for roach and chub
There will be about 100 of us turning up, a lot of them are good match anglers, so with me it will be a case of he who dares.
I have all the gear including a hat similar to Rons.
If I win any cash I will donate it to a fishing charity, its not the money, its the pride which is at stake.
Cheers.

Steve Spiller

Reaction score
Disco, you're up against it mate!
How about wag' up in the water?
6lb main, 4lb bottom, size 12/14 with banded pellet.
Keep the pellets going in on the float.

Good luck, you'll need it!

T

Terry Comerford

Feed hemp and meat in the margins.
Fish meat, corn, pellet, on the hook.
Rod and line, centrepin reel.
Attach a pole rig (0-14mm minimum) to a loop in the main reel line, fish dead depth in the margins, under the rod top.
Swop between left and right margins, catch fish from one, rotate to the other.
Keep feeding constantly, both margins, feed even while your playing fish, or they'll drift away.
You'll compete with the best pole weights, given a decent peg.
Net all fish at the centre of the peg, away from your catching zones.

T

Terry Comerford

Thats just my first choice DB.
A good commercial angler would have something similar to yours set up also.

T

The Monk

Sorry mate, I have nothing to add, it was just the Virgin bit that caught my eye!

Disco stu

Reaction score
It was an absolute waste of time. It was like fishing the North Sea in a force 10 gale, the "lakes" were long featureless holes, we fished on 3 of them, all named after trees I think.
Now Im not knocking match fishermen but it is something I could never get into, it was a totally souless, grim, bleak desolate place to be, over 100 of us fished and the match was won with 30 odd pounds, I never came close, Im only thankfull we only hold it once a year.